Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  IT Manager at Wood Group PSN
94743361

Late 2013 iMac unable to startup. Command R doesn't work.

Customer Question

Late 2013 iMac unable to startup. Command R doesn't work. Did perform an internet boot but disk utility showed the fusion drive as full which should not be the case
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?
Customer: 10.12 Sierra
JA: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Purchased new in 2013 I believe
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Had a couple of power outages over the last day, computer is on a UPS but did run out of battery power and shutdown. Came back up fine when power was restored but stopped working late yesterday. I also reset the PRAM today as well
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Started yesterday afternoon but honestly I didn't start working on it until this morning.
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Okay can you tell me what screen it is hanging on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right now there is nothing to connect to
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Yes I know that's an automated offer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Initially it would hang after signing into the user account it would display a status bar that would never complete
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was able to do an internet boot (command, option, R) and the disk utility showed the fusion drive as full which it shouldn't be
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I restarted from there it booted to the main background page but the dock or any of the applications do not show and I just have the spinning color wheel for the cursor
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Okay - do you have the recovery disks for it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is one of the models after they removed the CD drive from the computer. I am not sure where the original materials are. I can create a recovery USB from another Mac, would that work?
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Is the MAC on the same rough version?

Do you have a back-up of your data?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is on 10.12.4 which I believe is close to the iMac but can't recall off the top of my head. I have a time machine backup on an external drive and another cloud backup that was fully backed up about 2 days ago.
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Ok great. Do you know how to create the recovery drive?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
using the OS X recovery disk assistant?
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Yes correct.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
problem now is it is looking for Lion and this Mac is on Sierra, is there a different version?
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

You can get the disks direct from Apple but they'll charge you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should I try to restore from a time machine backup through the internet recovery and see if that works?
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Have you set time machine to take full disk images?

If so that will 100% work - or maybe it is just the files?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should be, it took about 15minutes for it to boot up in internet recovery, I will get that started and see what options I have on the time machine backups
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Okay let me know If we need to go to plan B

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, it took a while but I finally got the external drive that contained the time machine to mount and show in internet recovery mode. I took it back to about 12 hours before I started experiencing problems and selected that backup to restore from. It is currently running and I will let you know what happens.
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Ok great also

Note: Can you please rate me at the top so I am credited with my time, 5/5 gives me most credit and would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would restore from a backup, but now the hard drive is erased, tried to install OS X from the internet recovery but it said permission denied. So would your best guess be to create the Sierra install disk on a USB and boot it from that and see if I can restore from the time machine backup?
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 month ago.

Yes, install sierria and restore the files only from the backup, that would work