Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Late 2013 iMac unable to startup. Command R doesn't work.

Customer Question
Late 2013 iMac unable...

Late 2013 iMac unable to startup. Command R doesn't work. Did perform an internet boot but disk utility showed the fusion drive as full which should not be the case

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?

10.12 Sierra

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Purchased new in 2013 I believe

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Had a couple of power outages over the last day, computer is on a UPS but did run out of battery power and shutdown. Came back up fine when power was restored but stopped working late yesterday. I also reset the PRAM today as well

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
9/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 9 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Started yesterday afternoon but honestly I didn't start working on it until this morning.

Okay can you tell me what screen it is hanging on?

Right now there is nothing to connect to

Yes I know that's an automated offer.

Initially it would hang after signing into the user account it would display a status bar that would never complete
I was able to do an internet boot (command, option, R) and the disk utility showed the fusion drive as full which it shouldn't be
When I restarted from there it booted to the main background page but the dock or any of the applications do not show and I just have the spinning color wheel for the cursor

Okay - do you have the recovery disks for it?

This is one of the models after they removed the CD drive from the computer. I am not sure where the original materials are. I can create a recovery USB from another Mac, would that work?

Is the MAC on the same rough version?

Do you have a back-up of your data?

it is on 10.12.4 which I believe is close to the iMac but can't recall off the top of my head. I have a time machine backup on an external drive and another cloud backup that was fully backed up about 2 days ago.

Ok great. Do you know how to create the recovery drive?

using the OS X recovery disk assistant?

Yes correct.

problem now is it is looking for Lion and this Mac is on Sierra, is there a different version?

You can get the disks direct from Apple but they'll charge you!

should I try to restore from a time machine backup through the internet recovery and see if that works?

Have you set time machine to take full disk images?

If so that will 100% work - or maybe it is just the files?

should be, it took about 15minutes for it to boot up in internet recovery, I will get that started and see what options I have on the time machine backups

Okay let me know If we need to go to plan B

OK, it took a while but I finally got the external drive that contained the time machine to mount and show in internet recovery mode. I took it back to about 12 hours before I started experiencing problems and selected that backup to restore from. It is currently running and I will let you know what happens.

Ok great also

Note: Can you please rate me at the top so I am credited with my time, 5/5 gives me most credit and would be much appreciated. Thanks.

would restore from a backup, but now the hard drive is erased, tried to install OS X from the internet recovery but it said permission denied. So would your best guess be to create the Sierra install disk on a USB and boot it from that and see if I can restore from the time machine backup?

Yes, install sierria and restore the files only from the backup, that would work