Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

The fan is constant and the screen goes out for no reason,

Customer Question
The fan is constant...

The fan is constant and the screen goes out for no reason

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

MacOS Sierra MacBook Air

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your MacBook Air? What troubleshooting have you tried?

2013

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all the annoyances so far

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 11 months ago
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

Your MacBook Air might be overheating. Does it feel hot to the touch, especially the base?

If so then it might not be getting enough air, and the base might not be able to transfer the heat away.

You should use it on a hard flat surface to avoid overheating issues.

If it is not overheating, then you might need to reset the SMC. More information is available on that here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Without going through that entire article, the basic steps are:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
    If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
  3. Release all keys.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am here to help.

I tried that last night but I will try it again.

Ok, thank you.

Those steps reset the SMC, System Management Controller.

The SMC controls the power that goes to the Mac before it can chime.

If resetting it doesn't work, then there is a hardware issue.

A hardware technician can have a look and it might be possible to repair it.

If not then the hard disk should be Ok, so you can ask that it be removed and you can access your data from it.

But if those steps are tried and the Mac still does not chime then it definitely has a hardware problem.

Let me know what happens.

How did that go, did the SMC reset make any difference?

Thanks in advance.