Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

It won't start up...it's a Macbookpro. I think Yosemite.

Customer Question
It won't start up...it's...

It won't start up...it's a Macbookpro

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?

I think Yosemite

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No...It's been inoperable for over a year. I gave up on it.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I just try to turn it on. The apple logo comes on and the bar starts to populate half way after the chime, then it goes black

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I guess that's all I have

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mac
9/11/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 11 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

I am sorry this is happening. Sometimes when this happens you just need to have the mac check itself and its hard drive or reinstall the OS. Both are possible when putting the mac into whats called recovery mode. Recovery mode boots up your mac in a special place to do such things as checking the hard drive and making sure its still ok and reinstalling important system files and folders while keeping your data safe as it does not erase your files during re-install. So here is what you can try.

First the hard drive test:

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "Disk Utility"
  5. On the left side menu, click/choose your primary hard drive which is by default called "Macintosh HD"
  6. Then on the right side menu, choose "first aid"
  7. Wait for the process to finish as it will either let you know the drive has errors or tell you its "ok" (let me know)

Once it is done and you report that the drive seems to be "ok" then do the following. Either close out of disk utility and in the MAC OS utilities menu a.k.a (recovery mode main menu) choose "reinstall OS" or do the following:

How to reinstall the OS

1. Restart your mac
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions that I previously posted? Please let me know if I can further assist at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your time.