Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

MacBook Pro I can't get past the loading bar, Idk, About a…

Customer Question
MacBook Pro I can't...

MacBook Pro I can't get past the loading bar

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook?

Idk

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your MacBook? What troubleshooting have you tried?

About a year ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I've tried the command r. The opt, comm, r and p I've tried the comm S and the shift and power

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
9/9/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 9 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

If you have tried all that already, which are all good things to try, then your only other hope is to create a bootable flash drive on another mac, maybe a friends or family members mac. This is only if your hard drive has not failed. Besides this you can always purchase something like disk warrior which will help try and repair the drive if possible and allow you to save data of the bad hard drive. If you are interested in this you can check out https://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/. But here is how to try and use a flash drive to install the OS.

Things you will need to create this bootable USB flash drive:

• at least a 12 GB USB flash drive
  • a mac that has the version OS MAC OS that you would like, at least 10.9 or higher. Preferably, Mac OS Sierra 10.12
  • your apple id and password ***** this is needed just to download the Mac OS Sierra installer from the app store.

Below you will find steps on how to create the bootable USB flash drive. After you create the USB bootable flash drive by following the first instructions titled "How to create a bootable flash drive for Mac OS Sierra:" then you can choose to perform the Standard or Advanced options. The standard option includes the OS upgrade only and does not erase the hard drive. The advanced option will erase the hard drive first, when you do not need to save any data, and then complete a fresh install of the Mac OS.

How to create a bootable flash drive for Mac OS Sierra:

1. Open the App Store on your mac
  2. Search for "Sierra" or "Mac OS"
  3. Click Download
  4. After a minute or so, click your launchpad app and you will see the download progress
  5. When it is done it may automatically open the Installer Wizard but just minimize the window it is not needed
  6. Plug in a USB flash drive at least 12 GB and rename the drive to Untilted - (If you see it appear on the desktop, remember the name of the USB drive as you will need this later. You can use the current name but sometimes different names can cause an issue for some reason. especially names with spaces or longer names. I have a less fail rate when using the name "untitled". So for this example that is what were using.)
  7. Open your terminal app on your mac
  8. Copy and paste the following command but do not hit enter yet:
  9. sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app

10. In terminal, use the arrows on your keyboard to navigate through the command until you get to the word "MyVolume". You need to replace this name with the name of your USB drive. You can rename your USB drive to MyVolume if you would like.
  11. Hit enter to exec
  12. You should see the following:
  13. Ready to start.
  14. To continue we need to erase the disk at /Volumes/Untitled.
  15. If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y
  16. Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%... (<-- This will reformat the flash drive)
  17. Copying installer files to disk...
  18. Copy complete.
  19. Making disk bootable...
  20. Copying boot files...
  21. Copy complete.

Standard Upgrade/Install - this does not erase any data of the hard drive but instead updates the OS to Sierra 10.12

1. Make sure to eject your USB flash drive properly. (Meaning don't just pull the drive out. You need to either control click the drive icon on the desktop and choose "eject" or drag the drive to the trash which turns into EJECT and then you can pull the drive out.)
  2. Insert the drive into the mac that you would like to update
  3. Restart the mac
  4. Immediately hold down the "option" key on the keyboard
  5. Select your USB drive from the Disk Menu. Probably called by default "Install Mac OS sierra".
  6. Your USB drive will boot your mac and take you to a main menu that looks just like the recovery OS X Utilities main menu (this may take a while as you're booting from a USB flash drive)
  7. At the main menu, choose "reinstall OS"
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to continue the process until complete

Advanced Upgrade/install - includes erasing the hard drive in order to perform a fresh install of Mac OS Sierra 10.12

3. Restart the mac
  6. Your USB drive will boot your mac and take you to a main menu that looks just like the recovery OS X Utilities main menu (this may take a while as your booting from a USB flash drive)
  7. At the main menu, choose "Disk utility"
  8. In Disk utility, on the left side menu, choose your primary drive which by default is called "Macintosh HD"
  9. On the right side menu, choose erase
  10. Enter a name for your primary hard drive. You can use the usual default of Macintosh HD
  11. Choose the Format "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  12. Click Erase
  13. Wait for the erase process to finish
  14. Close Disk Utility
  15. Back on the main menu, choose "reinstall OS"
  16. Follow the onscreen instructions to continue the process until complete

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Just wanted to check in and see how everything is going. I know I sent a lot of information but let me know what happens.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions that I previously posted? Please let me know if I can further assist at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your time.