Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Mac mail app on macbook pro running el capitan has pinwheel

Mac mail app on macbook pro running el capitan has pinwheel no matter what. Whole laptop runs fine. Mail is only issue. Pinwheel. Deleted index files forcing mail to rebuild. Still have problem
JA: When did you purchase your Macbook? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 4 years ago probably was purchased. Clear more than half emails off computer and server. Re-did index files. Visited apple store a couple of times. Seemed to work fine until I left apple store. Does not work under a variety of wifi connections so I do not think it is a slow server.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't know what else to say.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

How many accounts are you using with Mail ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looks like my inbox is showing 3

I mean how many emails accounts are added to Mail and which are they ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is this s robot? I gave a credit card and the profile shows the card there

I'm not a robot. I'm the Mac tech working on your question.

I see that you have requested secure remote, but it has failed. Your bank or cc company probably blocked it.

On your Mac, go to Apple > System Preferences > Internet Accounts and how many accounts are there ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it shows icloud, google mail, and cartermedia mail. 3 ...on the right side it shows 10 random things like Flicker, vimeo, facebook, aol, yahoo, linked in, twitter...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe payment has been straightened out

Sorry, it failed again. Your bank or cc company probably blocked it. So I will help you here.

One of the account is causing the issue. Click on Google Mail and disable Mail option. Then do the same for cartermedia mail

Now open Mail and does it load without spinning wheel ?

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pinwheel appears when opening. I'll try different card.

Make sure you quit the Mail app before doing the above steps. You can force quit it.

Disable iCloud as well. Does the Mail app open without the pinwheel ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pinwheel still there when opening email. I have also change card information

Sorry, I don't have access your card details to process the payment myself. Please call this number and ask them to clear the payment --> 1-***-***-****

It is possible that the entire Mail database is corrupted. Turn Mail for all accounts. Then turn off the Wifi or internet connection. Then open Mail. is it still spinning ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I turn off mail accounts. Obviously in Mail, all I have is a pinwheel and cannot within app

No, you have to do it in System Preferences> Internet Accounts.

Go to there and turn off Mail for all accounts there. Then turn off Internet/WiFi and check Mail app. Is it still spinning ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
phone number was not helpful. Said they could do nothing as they are just waiting for my bank. I turned off accounts. Left wifi on. Pinwheel not as bad when clicking on areas like "Sent messages from my mac" in the email app. But still pinwheel durations I had not had before.

We may need to completey delete old Mail database and add your email accounts back. Are all your emails saved on server ?

iCloud and Gmail will be on server, bur what about the cartermedia mail ? Are their emails on server/webmail ? IF so, we can safely delete old Mail database and create a new one

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No probably not. I have a folder in email app under "On My Mac" It is called "Sent Messages on my computer". I'd like to save those emails. Is there an easy process for that?

Emails saved under "On My Mac" section can be recovered. So what you want to do is, open Mail, click on those folders, click on File menu and select Export. Then export all those folders. Let me know if it stuck at pin wheel

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
pinwheel with every click. give me a little time and I'll let you know
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it says Export as PDF. Is that what I click?

Ok, once we saved the necessary data, we can start troubleshooting. We will try some troubleshooting without deleting the contents first, but it is better to have backup

Make sure you Export the Mailbox, not the individual emails. See here --> https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22318?locale=en_GB

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I controlled click over the folder I wanted to keep. and in the drop down media I clicked on Export Mailbox
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thats only one I am concerned with.

So were you able to save it ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think so. Where do I look to confirm?

To where did you save it ? Didn't it give you a choice to save ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
good question. It is pinwheeling so long it may not have gotten to that yet. ...ah the window finally came up asking me where to save

Save to desktop.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
file extension is .mbox
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
partial.mbox so it's not fully saved yet.

let it complete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay. done. completed

Ok, close Mail app. In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. In Library folder, open Preferences folder and trash com.apple.mail.plist, com.apple.mail.plist.lockfile if you see it.

Then go back to Library, open the Containers > com.apple.mail > Data > Library folder. This time open the Saved Application State folder and trash the folder/file "com.apple.mail.savedState".

Open Mail. Is it still freezing ? If so, then go back to Library folder and this time, trash Mail folder.

Open Containers folder and trash com.apple.mail

Open Caches folder and trash com.apple.mail if you see it there.

Open Mail and let me know how it is going.

Note : Do not empty Trash

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
trash com.apple.mail-shared.plist too?

Yes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Open mail. Pinwheel only for 15 seconds now. of course no accounts turned on. and the mailboxes I exported are still there. Continue back to library and trash mail folder?

Turn on all accounts. Then check Mail

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Accounts on. Still pinwheel but I had not gone back to Library to trash additional folders.

That means the reset we tried didn't work. The additional folders are the Mail database which will clear Mail completely. So do it and then you can add the account sback

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
mail from today has loaded but pinwheel want let me click on them.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just did what you asked. I deleted and went through the entore instruction. Mail opens up. Not the "Classic View setting I had but opens and with know pin wheel.Ok, close Mail app. In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. In Library folder, open Preferences folder and trash com.apple.mail.plist, com.apple.mail.plist.lockfile if you see it.Then go back to Library, open the Containers > com.apple.mail > Data > Library folder. This time open the Saved Application State folder and trash the folder/file "com.apple.mail.savedState".Open Mail. Is it still freezing ? If so, then go back to Library folder and this time, trash Mail folder.Open Containers folder and trash com.apple.mailOpen Caches folder and trash com.apple.mail if you see it there.Open Mail and let me know how it is going.Note : Do not empty Trash
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No pinwheel. I think I may be okay now. But what about the old emails I wanted saved?

You can import them back. Click on File menu > Import Mailbox. Choose the exported file

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. I did. I guess thats it. Just need to re-learn the way this app is laid out. Preferred the way the other email app looked :-)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. By the way, is there a "Classic View" setting. I do not see within the email app under "view"

You can change the layout. Choose Mail > Preferences, then click Viewing. Choose the Layout there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wonderful. Done! Thank you. ...and good day!

You're most welcome ! BTW Keep the Mail folder in Trash. Don't delete yet. If you feel any emails are missing from saved, we can recover them from old database.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,