Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

A family friend has passed away and my younger brother has…

Customer Question
Hi, so a family...

Hi, so a family friend has passed away and my younger brother has been given his old IPad, but we cant unlock/restore factory settins. i have tried following the steps online of plugging into the computer and holding the lock and home screen to restore but it still asks for the previous owners password. is there anything that i can do or is it permanently locked?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

How do i find that out? its asecond hand IPad, no box or anything to give an indication?

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I dont thinks so

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Just the suggested of trying to restore factory settins but it still has "find my device" activated

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

The device got up to the activation help screen but says a password ***** ***** to activate this device as the owner has 'Find my IPhjoneto link to their Apple I.D

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
9/9/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Josh, Mac Support replied 9 months ago
Josh, Mac Support

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

I am sorry to hear about your friend!

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to unlock the iPad without their information. The feature is designed to stop theft but there are times where it can cause issues if the owner is not able to perform the reset. Apple has been in the news several times where they refuse to unlock the iPad from a loved one that has passed away.

I wish I had better news and I hope that you understand that I am only the messenger in this situation.

If you have any questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

is there nothing that can be done?
Unfortunately not.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.