Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

My keys are stuck on capital letters, os10 airbook, 2 years

Customer Question

my keys are stuck on capital letters
JA: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?
Customer: os10 airbook
JA: When did you purchase your Apple device? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 2 years ago, tired control, command pr upon restarting
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: also tapped the fn button
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Try this just to make sure. Below is the steps to use the virtual keyboard and see if the capital letters still type when using this keyboard as well. Then let me know if the virtual keyboard types capital letters as well.

• Open System Preferences and go to “Keyboard”, and look under the “Keyboard” tab
  • Check the box next to “Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar”
  • Then at the top right corner of your screen you should see an icon that you have not seen before. That is the keyboard viewer. Pull down the newly visible Keyboard menu and choose “Show Keyboard Viewer”
  • Place the keyboard on screen in the desired location, and resize the newly visible keyboard as necessary by dragging the corners
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

If you try the virtual keyboard and you still get caps you can boot the mac into recovery mode and reinstalling the OS and it does NOT delete your data.

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Or it could be that just your "shift" key on your keyboard is sticking causing the caps as well. Which I am assuming you already checked your caps lock key as well.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** reinstall
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

OK no problem your welcome. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still caps
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

and you checked the shift key or press it a couple times to make sure and the caps key of course. Because basically you ruled out a software OS issue but just to make sure that its not your user profile on the mac. Go to apple/system preferences/users and groups and just create a new user called test for now. You do not need to put a password ***** you do not want. Then log in as this new test user and see if still caps.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

If that still gives you caps, do you happen to have a usb keyboard to plug in and test to see if that shows caps. If that works then the actually keyboard on the macbook air. Which in that case i can check your warranty info and see if your still covered. I would just need your serial number which you can get from the apple/about this mac. Could also be on the back of the macbook on the back cover but in very small print.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** going to mac store
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

OK.

Customer service

In order to complete your refund, please visit the following site:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Or you can call 1(###) ###-####/p>

Thank you.

Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the long wait.

Do you still need help with your issue?