Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Have a MacBook Pro and it will not turn on I have replaced

Hi have a MacBook Pro...
Hi have a MacBook Pro and it will not turn on I have replaced the battery and the cord and it say on the shelf for a few years
9/8/2017
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Try removing the battery and power cord, then press and hold the Power button for 1 minute to discharge it.

Now put the battery back in and connect the power cord, and try turning it on again.

Let me know if that works.

---

If not, please let me know:

When was the MacBook Pro last turned on?

Did it work ok last time it was used?

Is there any sign of life at all from it? (any lights or beeping or fan noise)

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page to finish; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Hi Pete,
Thank you for your suggestions it did not work. My computer is totally dead. The computer was given to me by a friend and it was not turned on in couple of years. I took the computer in hopes that I could get the computer to work. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your expertise.

If there is no sign of life from it at all then the main board is likely dead and a repair would cost approximately $300+.

Hi Pete, i bought a new cord. I followed your intructions and the fan on the computer is making noise but nothing else. A blank screen. Any other suggestions? I will send you a picture of the back of the computer maybe something will standout that needs to be fixed. Thank you for your help, Ryan
Here are my photo's of my computer

Hi Ryan,

The main board is likely dead and a repair would cost approximately $300+.

do you think it is the screen because it is a new screen that i got on ebay and put on my myself

No it is not the screen. It is the main board.

ok

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

How would it die because it sat on the shelf for 5 years

The electronic components on the motherboard will degrade over time regardless of use.

Pete, Computer Engineer
Ok
Thank you so much for your help I was not able to fix the issue but I did end up buying a new computerThank you
RYAN
Pete, Computer Engineer