Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My wireless mouse doesn't work any more. When I try to roll

Customer Question

My wireless mouse doesn't work any more. When I try to roll it to where I need it, it either rolls very slowly or doesn't go there at all. Do you put new batteries in these things, or do I need a new one? (I plug it in to recharge it every night.) Thanks for your help!
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?
Customer: Don't know. It's for my laptop, which I got a couple of years ago. The information I have on the mouse is that it's a Model A 1657.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, I haven't.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I'm not very computer savvy, so I've just tried leaving it plugged in to re-charge for longer & longer periods.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything. How can I find information on my operating system?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

A wireless mouse does indeed need batteries. It may be that a low battery state is making the mouse perform erratically, owing to the voltage being marginally usable, or else past usability, depending upon the exact degree of grip upon the battery or batteries by the battery holder terminals. Or something similar.

If you have not put new batteries into the wireless mouse for several years since you got it, they will need replacing, period.

Tell me what model you see on the underside of the mouse, please... and I will tell you exactly how to go through the somewhat trying procedure of getting the old batteries out and what batteries to put in to the mouse in question.

(If the mouse has no model #, please describe its rough shape, at least.)