Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How do I back-up iMac onto a Lacie external hard drive. I

Customer Question

How do I back-up iMac onto a Lacie external hard drive.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I have had the Mac for about three years.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, when advised
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None. I just got the Lacie. I want to install it. I am told the computer will go to sleep and the back-up process will stop.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know off
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 month ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You can do Time Machine to backup the Mac to your external hard drive. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences. In System Preferences, choose Time Machine. Turn on Time Machine option, click Select Disk or Select Backup Disk and choose the Lacie drive there.

This will start the backup process. For the initial backup, you should leave the Mac turned on and after that, your Mac will do the backups automatically.

If the hard drive isn't formatted for Mac or if you get any error or unable to select that drive in Time Machine, then you need to erase it for Mac.

Connect the drive to your Mac. Then open Disk Utility from Applications > Utilities folder (or search and open Disk Utility using Spotlight search at top right of screen).

In Disk Utility, select the Lacie brand name in left column (the external drive). Click on Erase tab and select Erase. Make sure "Mac OS Journaled (Extended)" option is selected. This will erase it for Mac (it will delete all contents from external drive if you have any files on it)

Then do the initial steps to backup it using Time Machine. Refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201250

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.