David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I am having difficulty getting my hotmail on my Mac Book.

Customer Question

I am having difficulty getting my hotmail on my Mac Book. Have not used it i a while, having been using my hotmail from my iPhone, iPad and PC. The message I am getting is 'internet account preferences can't connect to the google account "*****@******.***"
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?
Customer: About 3 years
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No not recently. I have not really used it in about a year. The internet connection is working, just not the mail
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Everything. I am not super technical
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

Expert:  David replied 1 month ago.

It looks like your account has been added as a Google account instead of a Hotmail account.

Instead you should add it in System Preferences > Internet Accounts as 'Other'.

Open System Preferences.

Open Internet Accounts.

Select any account that shows your Hotmail email address and click the minus symbol in the bottom left to remove it.

Now scroll through the list of account types that you can add until you see "Add Other Account', click there.

Click 'Mail Account'.

Type in your email and password ***** click 'Sign In'.

You can uncheck Notes and leave just Mail, and then click Done.

Now open Mail.

On the left you should see Inbox and below it you should see your Hotmail Inbox.

Your Hotmail is now set up in Mail. If you have any questions please let me know.

Please click the stars to rate my service, have a great day!