Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  Data Systems Analyst for a School District
97029936

I plugged in my charger and it won't charge. i tried other

Customer Question

hey so i plugged in my charger and it won't charge. i tried other cords and it still wont work. I think it may be the charging port
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: model: A1533 and i bought it referbished
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: it just happened today and i have done any trouble shooting besides tried other cords
JA: Anything else you want the smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Lets start with this first:

I am assuming this is a 5s iphone, let me know if not:

• Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Then if that does not work you can try and plug your phone into your computer and open itunes as sometimes that helps recognize the phone and wakes it up.

You can also try and put the phone into recovery mode if above does not work and then back up and then do a restore or update by doing the following. Then if you have done this and it still does not work you can clean the charging port area by either blowing into it or using an air can to make sure there is nothing inside possibly.

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or family member if needed.
  3. While your device is connected, put it into recovery mode You do this by doing the next step
  4. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen. Most important as this is the recovery mode. See attached pic
  5. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.

After the update see if your phone will charge.

If step 5 does not work make sure you have done a back up and try restore. A restore erases all data but then you can apply your backup.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions that I previously posted? Please let me know if I can further assist at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your time.