Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

My home button is not working...can only use my mouse to…

My home button is...

My home button is not working...can only use my mouse to navigate

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

You would ask that :):) MacBook

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your MacBook? What troubleshooting have you tried?

MacBook Air - does that help in any way

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I tried holding down the home pad and the off button until it turned off and then restarted but that didn't help...will the expert need to know the OS of my devise?

9/5/2017
David, Mac Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

A MacBook Air has a trackpad not a home button. Do you mean the trackpad will not click?

No thanks, Dave

Ok. There are two settings for trackpad clicking. There is tap to click, and there is normal click.

If you move the mouse pointer to the Apple logo in the top left and tap to click, does the menu open?

If not if you press to click does the menu open, and if not does the trackpad make a physical click sound when you try to press to click?

You can ignore the automatic offer of remote assistance, we can carry on as normal to try to resolve this.

Ok, thanks - the menu opens when I use the mouse
pressing trackpad does not open menu nor does it make a physical slick sound

So you have an external mouse, but the trackpad is not clicking.

Then with the external mouse open the Apple menu and click System Preferences.

Then click Trackpad. Then tick the option for tap to click, this should enable the trackpad tap to click again.

I did what you suggested and my trackpad is working now Dave, thanks so much so long as it continues...have a good evening

You're very welcome. Please take a moment to click the star rating system, it's how Just Answer recognise me as the expert that helped you.

Have a great day too! I'm glad I was able to help fix it.

David, Mac Support Specialist