Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

How do I restore my iPhoto Library from a G-DRIVE to a new…

How do I restore my...
How do I restore my iPhoto Library from a G-DRIVE to a new Hard Drive running 10.12.6? There is now no iPhoto, just Photos.
9/5/2017
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Copy that iPhoto Library from G Drive to the Pictures folder of the Mac. Then hold down Option key and open Photos app. Locate and choose the iPhoto Library and this will migrate the library to Photos app.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I can't find an iPhoto Library on the G-Drive. Is it possible that I never had the backup configured correctly?
No, please guide me.

How did you actually backup it ? Did you do that using Time Machine or just copy and paste ?

Time Machine. I should add that before my previous hard drive crashed, G-DRIVE was giving me messages that backup failed. The last backup I have is almost a year ago, but should have most of my photos.

You can browse the Time Machine backup and then restore that library. Hold down Option key, click on the Time Machine icon at the top bar and select Browse other backup. Choose the G-Drive and this will bring the Timeline. Choose the Pictures folder and you will find the iPhoto Library there. Choose it and click Restore button. Once it restored, you can do the first instructions I sent you to migrate to photos. Let me know if you have any difficulty

I do not see a Time Machine icon in the top bar. When I launch Time Machine, there is no top bar.

Go to Apple > System Preferences > Time Machine and turn it on. Make sure "Show time machine status in menu bar is enabled". Now you will see it at the top menu bar left to bluetooth.

When I first tried to restore, I could see the last backup before the hard drive crashed. Now, I can only see backups back to July 2017. Have the older backups been erased?
If I double-click on the G-Drive icon, I can see a backup folder for the older backups.

Not sure as time Machine automatically deleted old backup to make new backups if there isn't enough space. try restoring from latest backup

Okay, but the latest backup does not have my older photos. They were lost when the HD crashed a few months ago.

Then you should restore from the backup that has the full photos. Try restoring from a backup prior to that crash

Those older backups do not show up in Time Machine, but I can see their folders on the G-DRIVE. When I open up the folder on G-DRIVE, I don't see anything that says iPhoto or iPhoto library.

I hope it is not deleted. Can you check all months through Time machine ?

I did. They only go back to July, when the new HD was installed. I was wrong about not seeing iPhoto Library in a folder when I look directly on the G-DRIVE. This is what I can see: Backups.backupdb/Barbara's iMac/2016-09-22-190556 (last bu before crash). I can also see other folders dated from when I installed the G-DRIVE up until currently.

It is better you search through Time Machine as that will show full versions of the backups.

Open Time Machine and search iPhoto Library. Does it find anything except the newer backup ?

As I go back, there are names on the folders up until the HD crash. There are folders behind that, but they have no name on them and I can't go back any further. On the vertical "timeline" on the right side, there is a red line between the new HD installation and the previous dates.

I'm afraid the backups are deleted.

Open G-Drive in Finder, then search iPhoto Library (using the search field at top right). How many does it find ?

None.

Make sure the the G Drive is selected there and do a search again in the backups db folder.

Or open the backups db folder and search jpg or jpeg and does it find your pictures ? This will try to find all the pictures from all library

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but everytime I try to search the G-DRIVE, once I type something in the search box, it jumps to iMac; won't stay on G-DRIVE. ??

Just click G Drive there

I can't seem to search the G-DRIVE through the finder; each time I type something in the search box, selection jumps to "This Mac". If I then select G-DRIVE, typing in search box disappears.

Open the backup db folder and are you able to search in that folder ? Or is it still going to Mac ?

Still jumps to Mac.

Open Time Machine using Browse other backup disk. Then search jpg in there. Does it find anything ?

Arrggh! That allowed me to search backupdb. No jpeg or jpg found.

Did you search through Time Machine app ?

Still nothing found.

I'm really, it sounds like the Mac has deleted the old backup or overwritten the old file with new one. I'm really sorry, but I'm afraid there is nothing left to do. Your only option is, do a thorough search through time Machine on all dates.

I know you are looking for a solution, but there is no other option left.

Thank you for your help. You confirmed what I had already suspected. The company that replaced the HD in my iMac(2011) can retrieve the data from the fried HD for $700. Without seeing the hardware, can you tell me if you think that is a reasonable fee?
Also, would restoring the G-DRIVE through Disk Utility be of any use?

No problem. Data Recovery especially from crashed hard drives are very costly, but it is possible to retrieve them. If they guarantee their service and if your pictures are very important, then Yes, you should give them a try.

Restoring from Disk utility will not work. That is not same as Time Machine restore

Thanks again, Ashik. You have been very helpful.

You're most welcome and I'm really sorry I couldn't give you a better solution.

BTW, there are some data recovery applications out there. Try them and see if they can find the pics from the G Drive. See here --> https://www.prosofteng.com/data-rescue-3/

Use the trial version

Thank you!! One more thing. Since the new HD was installed, there were approximately 20 Time Machine backups. Then, I started to receive the "backup failed" message again, so I have not had a new backup for a month. What can I do to fix this? I must have something configured wrong.

If everything is on the internal drive, then you should erase the G Drive and then do a fresh backup. This way you can make sure everything is properly backing up from now on

Okay, I'll do that. Thanks again for your help. As far as a data recovery applications that you mentioned: since the crashed HD is not in a computer, those apps would do me no good, correct?

Correct, but I want you to use it to scan the G Drive. So if the old backups are deleted and not over written or if there is trace of the pictures, then it will find it. Do it before erasing the G Drive.

Also, make sure all your important files are copied to the internal drive from G Drive before erasing it

Okay, I understand. I will give these options a try. THANKS!!

No problem.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,

I do have another question. I tried to download GIMP, but my security settings would not let me open it. Do you think GIMP is a valid program?

Yes, GIMP is valid if downloaded from right source. https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

To open it, go to Apple > System Preferences > Security and Privacy and click Open Anyway there

Ashik, Mac Technician
Thank you. I will rate you (and probably contact you again). -B

My pleasure !