Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

How much does your advice cost? okay...how do i get started,

Customer Question
How much does your...

How much does your advice cost?

Technician's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mac Technician's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Okay...how do i get started

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

I'm on a 20 inch iMac...mid 2007 running 10.9.5

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?

This is an old machine i purchased from a repair shop ...it keep it at my cabin....I've recently installed satellite internet and am updating the machine....more I've run into a problem with iPhoto and photo....iphoto is inoperable and photo doesn't appear under applications...

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I have newer mac equipment elsewhere....it's iPhoto versus photo on this machine that I'm having an issue with ....okay to go...

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mac
9/3/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 9 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Are you getting an error message when you try to launch iPhoto?

To add Photo you need to re-download it, it should still be listed in the Purchases tab on your Mac App Store.

iphotos shows installed (now unavailable on this machine) and two OS updates: X Yosimite and X El Cap. I believe I had the tech migrate all software from a newer iMac when I purchased this used.I now seem to be in a catch 22 - I can't download a X "upgrade" because this system is already upgraded. I can't download photos because it's "included" in the upgrade. I'm not sure I ran photos after this machine was "upgraded"....in any event, I'm certain I'm in a loop but not sure what, if anything, I can do about it. "Photos doesn't appear as a purchased item in the app store...at least "my" app store...

Photos has been discontinued, so if it is no longer showing as a purchased item in your app store then you cannot obtain it.

Have y ou tried downloading the latest version of iPhoto from the app store?

Photos can be used without iCloud Photo Library, and thus your iCloud storage. You can keep both photos and videos in the Photos app, just like you could with iPhoto and Aperture. ... Once you've upgraded to iCloud Photo Library, Photo Stream as we've known it is replaced by All Photos.Apr 8, 2015 - google iPhoto versus photos....Once again, my issue is that the photos upgrade should have been installed when I upgraded my OS. Instead, iPhoto is greyed out, will not run and photos is not on my older iMac. Both iPhoto and photos appear and run perfectly on my newer iMac.... I need some kind of work around to either download iPhoto (shows installed and available to "open" on my newer iMac). On my older iMac i get the error message....Note this from searching on the web: Oct 20, 2015 - Support for iPhoto was dropped with the release of Photos in Yosemite 10.10.3. ... If you never purchased the 9.x version of iPhoto, you will not be able to update it to the Yosemite version.I'm stumped.

Ok, let me check if the other techs can assist you further with this.

Pete.

Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 9 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. I see that your question is still open. Do you still need assistance?

see the thread....iPhoto greyed out on an older IMac....will not run..no way to down load photos ...both apps runnng fine on my newer iMac ...stumped trying to get photos on my older mac...

It sounds like you just need the older version of iPhoto. Now the newer Photos app will not run in 10.9.5, but the original variant will. I can get a copy for you and let you download it from my server. Would that work?

That could work...I am willing to try it....please proceed....
Are you going to email a link to this file?
Hi there...hoping third time is the charm....regarding "It sounds like you just need the older version of iPhoto. Now the newer Photos app will not run in 10.9.5, but the original variant will. I can get a copy for you and let you download it from my server. Would that work?" .... provided, of course, you're not a Florida resident....very best, Richard