Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a 24" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz running version

I have a 24"...

I have a 24" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz running version 10.5.8. I have started getting notices "upgrade your browser" and am unable to access some sites. Can I update this unit? Where can I obtain a portable HD to back-up my info? Should I just buy a new iMac?

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

It was a gift for Xmas 2006. I do some desktop pub. and mostly email, and purchase. I am now 87 and not active.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

When note saying Safari can not open....I click the ? mark and put in the /httm info given. Still unable to open sites.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?

I do not want to loose 350 addresses + emails saved. but am willing to try anything including buying new iMac

8/19/2017
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Yes, you can upgrade it. But the version depends up on the model number. Could you please give me the serial number of your Mac ? You can find it from Apple > About This Mac

W872906SWSG

Let me check the compatibility. I will get back to you

I'm sorry. The secure remote will not work for this question. You can ignore it. I will send the answer in a few minutes.

Your Mac is a "iMac (24-inch, Late 2006)". Your Mac can only support up to Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion. 10.8 or latest version require imac 2007 or later model.

The problem is, latest or a compatible version of Safari or other browser requires Mac OS X 10.9 or later. That means, even though you can upgrade to 10.7.5 Lion, it is not worth it and doesn't fix the Safari issue. You still will be using an outdated OS X.

The latest version is macOS 10.12 Sierra. I'd recommend to get a new iMac because it is not worth upgrading this machine due to incompatibility and obsolete hardware.

Re backing up, you can buy any model of external hard drive and backup the entire Mac using Time Machine backup application. Time Machine is an application that can backup the entire Mac easily.

Just buy an external hard drive from any local store, then connect it to your Mac and go to Apple > System Preferences > Time Machine. Then select that hard drive there and it will do a full backup (it will take a few hours to do a full backup). Then you can restore this entire backup to your new iMac when you get it easily (while setting up the new Mac, it will give you an option to transfer data from Time Machine backup or old Mac). Se this article --> https://www.uta.edu/oit/cs/software/apple/how-to/Enable%20Time%20Machine/index.php

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Ashik, Mac Technician
JJesus Perez Gonzale

Hi there, did you still need assistance on this metter?

Matter*