Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I need help trying to remove contacts from an Iphone 5S that…

I need help trying...

I need help trying to remove contacts from an Iphone 5S that belonged to my late husband. Is there a way to put his contact list on my IMac, as a secondary contact list tot he one I currently use with my email? Please advise.

Technician's Assistant: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?

I use quickbooks on it, but I'm not terribly adept with general procedures.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, in the last week I have.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Not sure I understand your question. I do know that once when I attempted to sync my Iphone with this machine, I ended up getting my step daughters contacts as well as my own on my Iphone. I do not want to make that same mistake.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?

The Iphone that belonged to my husband no longer has an active phone number.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/17/2017
cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst

I will not be able to do remote assistance but I can walk you through it.

Step 1. On your iPhone, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign in with your Apple ID (it should be the same apple id you sign onto with your Imac) > Find Contacts option here and toggle it to ON.

Step 2. On your Mac, if you haven't enabled your iCloud on Mac, you should set it up first. Go to System Preferences > Find and open iCloud > Sign in with your Apple ID > Select Contacts to enable it. After then, all your iPhone contacts are synced to your Mac via iCloud.

cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
I followed steps as indicated. Where will this contact list appear on computer and can I keep it separate from my current contact list?
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. I have accepted your Remote Support request.

Are you near your iMac now?

sitting at Imac
When will I hear from you?

I am here. I just got out of a remote session. I will send you a link in a few seconds.

Go to this link and we will be connected.

[10:21 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: hello
[10:21 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: please stop moving everything around
[10:21 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: it is hard to see when you do that
[10:22 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: Is the 5S plugged into this computer?
[10:23 AM] Guest: no. Should I connect it now?
[10:23 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: yes
[10:25 AM] Guest: ok plugged in
[10:27 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: are the contacts on the iPhone 5S in icloud or local?
[10:30 AM] Guest: Not sure. I attempted to open Icloud on the 5s. How can I know if contacts are in icloud?
[10:30 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: the toggle will be on
[10:31 AM] Guest: just turned toddle on and ok'd merge with Icloud
[10:32 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: Can you still get into that account?
[10:34 AM] Guest: iphone is not accepting my appleIDpassword. I can try the old password ***** my late husband used. Should i try that?
[10:34 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: sure
[10:36 AM] Guest: now I have message " set up family sharing" Should I do this?
[10:36 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: no
[10:37 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: on your iMac open Contacts
[10:37 AM] Guest: I am not sure whether my husband ever turned on Icloud on this phone
[10:37 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: well it is on now, right?
[10:37 AM] Guest: yes
[10:38 AM] Guest: yes
[10:38 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: Open contacts and then go to preferences
[10:39 AM] Guest: I see that you asked me to open contacts on this Imac. I need to open firefox, then go into email to open contacts. OK if I do this?
[10:40 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: You can do this, but at this time your late husbands contacts are now in the cloud on his account. Is that ok with you or do they also need to be on your iMac?
[10:41 AM] Guest: I I prefer to have them on the Imac. If they are in Icloud in his account, how can I access them? That's my main concern.
[10:42 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: You can sign in to iCloud with his email address and the password ***** used. We can sign into that account on this mac and turn his contacts on here as well if you want them local on this iMac.
[10:43 AM] Guest: If they are resident on Mac, can they remain separate from my current contact list? I would like access to them on the Mac
[10:44 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: They would show up as two separate accounts in contacts
[10:46 AM] Guest: Ok, thats fine
[10:49 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: go ahead and sign in
[10:51 AM] Guest: ok signed in
[10:51 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: did you get signed into his account?
[10:52 AM] Guest: no my account
[10:54 AM] Guest: should I sign into his account?something has opened on my screen with his name. should I hit the square with arrow Icon to open? Which do I do first?
[10:55 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: yes, sign in to his account
[10:57 AM] Guest: asking me to set up two-factor authentification? Should I do?
[10:58 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: not now
[10:59 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: there they are
[10:59 AM] Guest: so If I only want my contacts and not all bellsouth, can I still access mine separately?
[11:00 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: yes. you are all iCloud
[11:00 AM] Guest: ok Willit appear that way when I am in email?
[11:00 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: It may not. If it doesn't you will need to turn it off in accounts, but you can turn it back on when you need it.
[11:01 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: there ->
[11:01 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: Does this answer your question?
[11:01 AM] Guest: ok, I get it. Thanks.
[11:01 AM] Cloud Account Administrator: Cheers!