Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My excel is freaking out and opening many random files,

my excel is freaking out...
my excel is freaking out and opening many random files
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Macbook Pro. only the excel. I was using it just fine.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: the file i was working on. Is very very important. and would like to keep it. preferably at its last save point.
8/12/2017
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Have you tried restarting your Mac ?

After restarting, open Excel and is it opening recent documents all at once ?

What version of Excel or Office are you using ? 2011 or 2016 ?

It's like all my files all at once. and the file names are ***** ***** what I have been using. the pop like 10 files
every 1sec.
2011

That is very strange. First of all, save all your imporant files and make a copy to some safe location, like to an external hard drive or flash drive. Then let me know and we can troubleshoot Excel

It's all saved. Up. it's very strange. Word, PP, all open up fine. I double click and excel or the icon it starts this. it does have a random error messages pop up with to with options

We can reset the preferences of Excel. Close Excel. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the library folder of your home folder. Open Preferences folder and trash the file 'com.microsoft.Excel.plist'.

Then close it. Hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the library folder of your home folder. Open Preferences folder and this time, trash the Microsoft folder.

Go back, then open Application Support folder and trash Microsoft folder

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I see. I also see some PDFs being opened which are not Excel. Did you do the reset steps I sent you ?

there not really pdfs like a merge of the ext.also the 2nd file to trash. the "microsoft folder" that's in the prefence folder

Then ignore that step and trash the Microsoft folder from Applications Support folder.

not finding that file

Which file ?

In Library, open Containers folder and do you see a folder name com.microsoft.Excel ? If so, Trash it. If not, ignore this step

Then, in Library, open Application Support folder and do you see Microsoft folder ? If so, Trash it. If not, ignore this step

Also, in Library folder, do you see Microsoft folder ? If so, Trash it. If not, ignore this step

Let me know

i know what happened. how long do i have this service?

You have this service until we fix the issue. When you are opening Excel, make sure only Excel is selected. Also, try opening from Applications folder

i got it to stop. or you did. with files deleted

Deleting the files like Microsoft folder, com.microsoft.excel.plist etc reset Excel's preferences. So it will open with default settings. I'm glad it is working for you.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,

now basic for some reason it was oping all my previous 10 files but snag in some Pdfs made them invalid files and error and that glitch. Can I put my excel to open only the LAST file used?

Close Excel. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the library folder of your home folder. Open Preferences folder and trash the file 'com.microsoft.Excel.plist'. Ignore this step if you don't find this file.

Go back to Library. Open Preferences folder and this time, trash the Microsoft folder. Ignore this step if you don't find this file.

Go back to Library, then open Application Support folder and trash Microsoft folder. Ignore this step if you don't find this file.

Go back to Library, open Containers folder and trash com.microsoft.excel. Ignore this step if you don't find this file.

Then go back to Library, open saved Applicataion State and if you see com.microsoft.excel there, trash it.

Open Excel again. This will start without opening recent files

copy

Sorry, what do you meany by copy ?

Is it still opening the recent files ?

copy. I confirm.
it's all fixed up. thanks.

Great ! Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me if it happens again (without any additional payment)

If everything is working and if you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Excellent Service or 5 stars and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you.

Best Regards,

Ashik, Mac Technician
Ashik, Mac Technician