Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I'm giving my daughter my 2013 MacBook Pro. I've backed up…

Customer Question
I'm giving my daughter...

I'm giving my daughter my 2013 MacBook Pro. I've backed up her older model (mid 2012) on a portable HD. The problem is that although I can boot up my Mac, the HD is not shown on the desktop. I've previously deleted my account on the machine (and added her name and password) as I'm separately shown as the Administrator.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a PRAM reset on your Mac (rebooting and holding down Command, Option, P, and R)? Or rebooting in Recovery Mode (holding down Command and R)?

No

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
8/4/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Jason Jones, Mac Technician

I am sorry to hear about your problem. My name is ***** *****, I am a Tech Expert with over 20 years of experience and look forward to helping you today.

As it stands, if you plug the drive into another computer, does the other computer recognize it?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

-

You want to make sure that you are plugging the drive directly into the computer. Do not plug it into a USB hub that is then plugged into the computer. Do you have the drive plugged directly into the computer? If not, do that and let me know if there are any changes in the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The external drive that contains the back-up isn't the problem. It's not being able to see the internal HD on the Mac I'm trying to restore her data to.

I am sorry for the confusion. How are you trying to restore it?

Is Mac OS already installed on the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll restore her data via Super Duper. The Mac boots up just fine. It recognises the external HD however, Super Duper doesn't see the Macs internal HD so theres no target drive to restore the data too.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. I've found the answer.
Mac Support Specialist: Josh, Mac Support replied 1 year ago
Josh, Mac Support

Do you still need help with your issue?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thanks

Okay, thank you.