Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a Mac Pro 2010 (latest version of Sierra) and an old

Customer Question

I have a Mac Pro 2010 (latest version of Sierra) and an old dell 5100cn color printer. I can't get the Mac Pro to find the printer. ideas on how to get it to be recognized so I can continue to use the printer?
Category: Mac
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Hello Kris,

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Did you try installing the DELL 5100cn Printer Driver? Can you please try the same and get back to me.

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R114470&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=150570

If you already have drivers installed, can you please reinstall them. Please let me know once you have tried.

Thanks,

Kumar

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried that. It downloads a .sit file....when I double click it it gives me a bunch of gibberish....so not sure what to do at this point...this is what some of it looks like:
StuffIt (c)1997-1998 Aladdin Systems, Inc., http://www.aladdinsys.com/StuffIt/
%¬rr˘|+••••<æPˇæQ e"6q1dGassan-9.smi€≥[email protected]ˇˇˇˇÄ‚ªÛ~B¡‘~‡GQÿ*·ù©_1 ÒcW(Ñ+Ω˜˜¿= ébÔ«^zw¶.eås{~Á*)˘—fÒ[email protected]‰{€º%IáaOú™êËCı.´X≈ÑÊYÀ]SîZ7dô<aQÀs.ň™VøMeÑZQc*ˇ»@`Â^J∏ ›…⁄DáF˛1∫eQU.˜Œr /íŒwˆ··é˘8)ºh9f«˘˚pïÅíÆfiíf>ZˆkWK9^Ë´í˙Çfi‡˚CEÜÕ$J¡7É∑É ÆÔ=AïHõÜ åÍhπ?ˆ∂@H3c]∂é≥ €;˜ö'cYŸıK˜ñ †∫‰J^T ™^@Ä∞ fi
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if we were able to assist you properly. Once you install the application, you will have to configure a few steps to connect to your printer. Please let us know if you were able to download the application.

Thanks,

Kumar