Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a Mac Pro 2010 (latest version of Sierra) and an old…

Customer Question
I have a Mac Pro...
I have a Mac Pro 2010 (latest version of Sierra) and an old dell 5100cn color printer. I can't get the Mac Pro to find the printer. ideas on how to get it to be recognized so I can continue to use the printer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager replied 1 year ago
Tech Ben
Tech Ben, Information Systems Manager
Experience: 15+ years of experience as an Information Systems Manager; responsible for overseeing computer and network systems, installation and maintenance, troubleshooting hardware and software issues, etc.

Hello Kris,

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Did you try installing the DELL 5100cn Printer Driver? Can you please try the same and get back to me.

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R114470&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=150570

If you already have drivers installed, can you please reinstall them. Please let me know once you have tried.

Thanks,

Kumar

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried that. It downloads a .sit file....when I double click it it gives me a bunch of gibberish....so not sure what to do at this point...this is what some of it looks like:
StuffIt (c)1997-1998 Aladdin Systems, Inc., http://www.aladdinsys.com/StuffIt/
%¬rr˘|+••••<æPˇæQ e"6q1dGassan-9.smi€≥[email protected]ˇˇˇˇÄ‚ªÛ~B¡‘~‡GQÿ*·ù©_1 ÒcW(Ñ+Ω˜˜¿= ébÔ«^zw¶.eås{~Á*)˘—fÒ[email protected]‰{€º%IáaOú™êËCı.´X≈ÑÊYÀ]SîZ7dô<aQÀs.ň™VøMeÑZQc*ˇ»@`Â^J∏ ›…⁄DáF˛1∫eQU.˜Œr /íŒwˆ··é˘8)ºh9f«˘˚pïÅíÆfiíf>ZˆkWK9^Ë´í˙Çfi‡˚CEÜÕ$J¡7É∑É ÆÔ=AïHõÜ åÍhπ?ˆ∂@H3c]∂é≥ €;˜ö'cYŸıK˜ñ †∫‰J^T ™^@Ä∞ fi

Please let me know if we were able to assist you properly. Once you install the application, you will have to configure a few steps to connect to your printer. Please let us know if you were able to download the application.

Thanks,

Kumar