Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I'm trying to restore iPhone 6plus from a previous backup…

Customer Question
I'm trying to restore...

I'm trying to restore iPhone 6plus from a previous backup earlier today at 8 pm. We are uncertain for the password ***** unlock my iPhone back up. can you help?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last reset your username and password?

Today at 8:03 pm

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Every password *****

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?

Its updated to an 10.3.3 IOS. serial number 10.3.3 serial number f9csf2d7g5ql

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

Well this sounds like it can be a couple things.

If you are trying to restore from a previous backup itunes and its asking for a password, it could be the password ***** to your apple id but instead the password ***** belongs to the encrypted backup. See the pic attached for the screenshot. If you got the same screen, then if you do not have the backup password ***** you will not be able to bypass it or clear it or reset it. Thats just the way it works. You can check and see if you have an icloud backup instead of this backup that has a password ***** itunes. Here is how to restore your phone from a icloud backup incase you have that as an option and if you don't know the password ***** the itunes backup.

If it is not the backup password ***** are talking about and its your apple id password, you can go to https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid and enter your apple id and then continue as it will offer you some options to reset your password. However, this sounds like you have tried this before but the reason why it may not have worked is because if it is the backup password ***** explained above then that is why it did not work. This apple id password ***** ***** the same as the backup password.

If it is neither the backup password ***** the apple id password ***** the ipad also has a security passcode which is 4 to 6 digits. If this is the problem, then you can bypass this issue. You would just need to do a restore on the phone but putting the phone into recovery mode as well. Just incase this is the problem, which I don't think so at this point in time, here is what to do:

note - ONLY DO THIS STEP IF IT IS THE PASSCODE YOU ARE SPEAKING OF

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or family member if needed.
  3. While your device is connected, put it into recovery mode You do this by doing the next step
  4. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding both buttons until you see the recovery mode screen. Recovery mode step. Most important.
  5. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions that I previously posted? Please let me know if I can further assist at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for your time.

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast