Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have ordered 13 webcast concerts which has cost me

Customer Question
$250....I was curious if I...
I have ordered 13 webcast concerts which has cost me $250....I was curious if I could record the webcasts to my mac for future viewing...I have no plans whatsoever of distributing them in anyway...I just know that I am going to be unable to view at least 5 of the shows that I have already paid for and I hate for that money to just go to waste....thanks!
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mac
8/1/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 11 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Yes, QuickTime can record whatever you have displayed on screen, including video playing on websites. To make a screen recording, find and open QuickTime Player X in your Applications folder, click "File," then "New Screen Recording."

To capture the audio as well, the best option is to use SoundFlower: https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower

It is a free piece of software that will let you route system audio within your Mac. Download and install the utility; Soundflower requires you reboot your system after installation for it to work.

After your machine reboots, open QuickTime Player and start a new screen recording. In the QuickTime Player window, click the down arrow to the right of the record button and select "Soundflower (2ch)" as your input. Then launch System Preferences and go to the Sound settings. Go to the Output tab and select the same "Soundflower (2ch)" option as you did in QuickTime Player.

What this does is route all of your system audio out to Soundflower as if the utility were speakers or headphones. That means any sound made by your Mac (including Facebook notifications or similar) will be recorded by QuickTime Player.

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority; I do hope I have earned 5 stars today!
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Hey Pete....Well, I got Flash Player to record what was on the screen my friend....it was a bit choppy to say the least and the audio sounded basically loud & scratchy waaa-waaa-waaa-waaa......it was no music whatsoever.....hard to describe the noise.....maybe what the television sounds like when its turned to a station with nothing but static......help. lol!!!thanks man-Price

Hi, did you use Soundflower to record the audio, or did you use your computer's built-in microphone?

Using the built-in microphone will not be nearly as effective as using Soundflower.

Yeah man, I used sunflower ch. 2 bud....

What site are the concerts on?

Any chance you could upload the results to YouTube so I can see?

Yeah bud, I can sure try! Lemme see what I can do...
here ya go bud....sorry about the delay....the site is livephish.comThis is one of my attempts that I uploaded to youtube for ya....https://youtu.be/CcM0MWnoa_c

The YouTube link does not appear to be working..

hmmmmm...https://youtu.be/CcM0MWnoa_c
or possibly....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcM0MWnoa_c&feature=youtu.be

Ok, I hear it! There is major feedback issues; did you disable the built-in mic before using Soundflower? If not, try doing that.

getting there my friend....getting there....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZfg8vWiXP0
Well YouTube blocked my attempt

Oh dear!

So was the sound any better with the mic disabled?

I haven't heard back from you yet - please reply and let me know if you still need assistance with this, or if your issue is now resolved?

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.