John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

All I'm getting is the Apple and the spinning disc, Won't

Customer Question

All I'm getting is the Apple and the spinning disc
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?
Customer: Won't start up
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Closing down and then restarting ut
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: What's my app,e I'd, they sent it to me but it went away before I copied it . I'm 78 and a little slower than most
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information. Please give me a minute to read over your submission...

Please try the following and if you have trouble anywhere along the way, or if it doesn't work, then let me know.

Shutdown your Mac.

Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears.

Then, select the “Recovery" volume.

(Alternative: If the above doesn’t work… Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.)

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click “First Aid“ or "Repair Disk" (Next, click “Run”, if requested)

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display.

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. When we are finished, please give my answers a positive rating so I will be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,