Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have my old MacBook backed up on a toshiba external hard…

Customer Question
I have my old MacBook...
I have my old MacBook backed up on a toshiba external hard drive. I'm trying to pull files off of my new MacBook but the files now have an .inprogress extension and say that they can't be opened.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
7/31/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ricky Kresslein, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 months ago
Ricky Kresslein
Ricky Kresslein, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

The .inprogress file extension means the Time Machine backup failed to complete, unfortunately. However, you may still be able to salvage many of the files. Please right-click the .inprogress file and choose "Show Package Contents". From there you should be able to drag and drop most of the files onto your new computer.

It is saying "volume has wrong case sensitivity for backup"
this is what it says when i try to drag the file to my desktop)

This means your old computer had case sensitivity turned on, so you will need to turn it on on your new device. Please do the following:

Open Disk Utility (located in Applications > Utilities)

I'm sorry, I was giving instructions for formatting an external drive. Since you need to reformat the internal drive on your new laptop, you will need to use a tool like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a backup to another external drive. Then you will need to reformat the whole computer into Case Sensitive format. It is going to be a bit of a pain, there is no easy way to do it unfortunately.

Ugg. Is there any other way?

Unfortunately no, there is not. The formatting is very particular.

If you have any follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of this page. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!

Ricky Kresslein
Ricky Kresslein