Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

There's a problem with a Time Machine backup, iMac (Retina…

Customer Question
There's a problem with...

There's a problem with a Time Machine backup

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?

IMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?

10.12.5 (16F73)

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?

At apple.com yes connect please

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/29/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 8 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What is the exact message you getting ?

Is the backup drive plugged in properly ?

Hello!I've plugged my Time Capsule 3TB into my imac. Tried both over wifi and ethernet cable.The situation goes like this: it starts to back up, usually overnight, then it reaches around 400-600gb progress and than for no reason the status changes to Waiting To Complete First Backup, I didn't do anything. If I start again, it just starts from the zero point and then it repeats.

Is this a new drive ?

It is new, I use it only for about a year.

Corruption in the system files, partition issue, permission issues etc could cause this. Is this the first time you are backing up this Mac ?

Is it ok to erase the hard drive and do a fresh backup ?

It's not the first time I do a full backup, it worked pretty well with no issues, until a few month now. Previously it had another problem saying there's no enough disk space to back up, when there actually was space, I think it was not deleting old backups. I did erase the drive in the past few days 2 times to start a fresh backup.

Did you run First aid on the internal drive ? Some times permission related issues could cause this

No I didn't run it on Time Capsule

Since you erased the drive, you don't need to run the first aid on Time capsule.

Did you run it on internal drive ?

Sorry, No. If Time Machine starts from that point, then we can't make it to start from the 200+GB

Could you please erase the drive ? Erase with AirPort Utility. See here --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202174

After erasing it, disconnect the drive. Then go to System Preferences, then click Time Machine. Click Options. Click the Add button (exception list) , then select the internal drive. Close it and restart Mac. Then go this point again and this time remove the internal drive from list. This will rebuild some index data.

Then in Finder, click on Go menu and select Go to Folder. Type the following and press return

/Library/Preferences/

Trash com.apple.TimeMachine.plist

Restart Mac. Then connect the time machine drive and start the backup.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Ok I can do it.Just one more question before I erase everything - do you really think it couldn't be that it's not resumed the backup?The initial backup size was around 1.2 GB. Now the total says around 950GB which makes sense if it has already backed up 200GB from previous session. Just want to double ask that before I erase it
Its already backed up 5 gb out of 940 while we speak

Sometimes corruption in the time machine preferences, indexing issues etc could cause these kind of problems. It isn't even supposed to start from scratch if there is old backup there unless there is any corruption in the settings. The above steps I sent is to rebuild index and restore time machine settings. It is better to do that, start fresh backup so you won't have this problem again.

Ok I'm doing it now. Is 'quick erase' enough? Or should I go with deeper long erase procedure?

Quick erase is enough as other method is to make the deleted data unrecoverable

Ok I'll let you know on the progress

Thanks

I did everything, except I forgot to remove the internal HD from the list, because my computer started to install updates. But I went and deleted the plist file and restarted, and when I looked there were no internal HD in a list there, just an external ssd drive that is connected. So I added a new time machine backup and am starting it now

You need to add the internal HD first and then remove it. So it will reindex and recreate the backup database

Ok I repeated the steps and did everything as you said. Next backup will start soon

Ok, let's see if it complete this time. Remember, if there is any read/write permission issues with the files in internal drive, then time machine may hang when it reaches that file.

Should I pause and run first aid on internal drive now?
Its still on preparing backup state

It will take some time since it has to index all the files

Ok I'll pass for now. The backup already started, so I'll see how it goes and if it stops now.Btw, if the computer was accidentally shut down should the backup continue at the point where it stopped?

Yes, it is supposed to do that. But you should disable sleep temporarily so it can do the initial backup without any issues.

Ok so after some time it again shows 'waiting to complete first backup'. Computer was running, no sleep, just logging out to enter a password ***** few times, which didn't prevent it from backing up. But after some time I found that it has stopped and is showing that message. Pretty frustrating

That means this is a file permission related issue. It is possible that your system lost read/write access to some particular files. Click stop button on Time Machine. Then restart your Mac in Safe Mode and does it allow you to resume it ?

I'll give it a try

Let me know

Go to System Preferences > Time Machine. Then turn it off and turn it on. Then start backup.

There is supposed to be a ON/OFF switch. Not sure if interface changed in latest Sierra.

Run Disk Utility and what it returns ?

They replaced it with back up automatically switch now.I'll run disk utility now
Ok I ran it until completion, says the volume appears to be OK. No problems found
The back up is now continued but it's the same way as it was at the beginning. It's showing the progress from scratch, right now around 500mb, but the whole size is now smaller (minus the data that was already backed up until it stuck)

I'm afraid I'm getting out of ideas. Hold down OPtion key, click on Time Machine icon at the top bar and do you see Verify Backup ?

I do see it

Click it

Clicked, it began the verification process

How is it going ?

It just finished and nothing happened, it went back to a previous state of stopped back up, as it was stopped in order to begin verification.

Have you tried reinstalling the macOS ?

No as it will break my production I keep it as a last thing to do, actually I was going to have a complete back up of my system in order to reinstall it if needed

I'm sorry, I will opt out and open this question to other experts in here. If they have anyidea, they will get back to you. If no one get back to you, you can contact the customer support for refund.

Please don't rate the answer anything to let expert get back to you

Best Regards,

Ok thanks
Mac Support Specialist: JJesus Perez Gonzale,
 replied 8 months ago
JJesus Perez Gonzale

HI, I can assist you with this problem.

Hello, do you have access to the chat to read what we went through with a previous consultant?
 replied 8 months ago
as I was ready there is something I'd like to do, however first I have some questions. Are you trying to restore to a previous state in your time machine backup?
What do you man by that? I'm trying to make all new fresh backup after erasing the drive.
I'm not trying to restore my system from a backup. I'm trying to back up my system.
Are you available to help?
 replied 8 months ago

Ah, ok I can definitely assist you, we need to format the disk and make sure that it is ready. We need to begin a remote session.

I already formatted the disk two times, as you can see from the chat with a previous expert. What's the purpose? Also is a remote session free?
 replied 8 months ago

In order for me to start a remote session I need to offer premium service for a total of $25

No thanks. If you have any ideas how to fix it you can just send it over chat as a previous consultant and I'll give them a try
 replied 8 months ago

Give me a second and I will refer you to a guide on getting this problem resolved.

replied 8 months ago

Here is a walk through on how to get your time machine up and running with your harddrive.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/07/12/set-up-time-machine-backups-mac-os-x/

Is it a joke? You're really sending me a generic info about how to do what I already know after I was charged for the real help?Sorry but I explained in detail what's the real problem is, and I KNOW Hot to set up a time machine. It was running fine for me until this bug happened.If you can't provide a real solution I'll just close this request and request a refund
 replied 8 months ago

I can assist you with a remote session, I will opt out for another expert.

JJesus Perez Gonzale
JJesus Perez Gonzale
JJesus Perez Gonzale