Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I just received a message from

Customer Question
I just received a...

I just received a message from apple.com-webbrowsing-security.site saying that my computer is infected with 3 viruses and wants to do a scan. Is this a real product?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?

El Capitan 10.11

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?

The message just popped up. I haven't done anything yet.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?

No. I am just wondering if I am really infected with these viruses or if this is a scam.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
7/29/2017
Mac Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 1 year ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

These pop-up messages are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where you will encounter a message saying that your computer has a virus or has been hacked or something along those lines and that you either need to install a program or call a number for service.

The way it works is that small tech companies will pay third-party advertisers to insert their product links and in some cases phone numbers into these pop up messages. So what you're actually seeing is a carefully crafted advertisement, not a legitimately virus warning.

If you receive these messages in the future, simply close them out. If it doesn't allow you to close it out, then hold down the power button on your computer for 5 to 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown and then restart the machine. You definitely don't want to install anything or hand over any money.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.