Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

Was downloading a system update but now cant restart. HELP!

Customer Question

Was downloading a system update but now cant restart. HELP !
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jon replied 2 months ago.

Does the mac still power on ok? When you say it can't restart, do you get to a black screen only or does the apple icon even show up on the screen or the loading progress bar? Either way you can try and boot the mac into whats called "recovery mode" and reinstall the OS which does not delete your data.

1. Restart your mac
  2. immediately hold down command and R on your keyboard
  3. If done correctly you should get to a main menu
  4. choose "reinstall OS" - don't worry, this does not erase your files/data it just reinstalls the system files and folders.
  5. follow the onscreen instructions which is basically next, next, next

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Expert:  Jon replied 2 months ago.

It has been a couple days without a response so I will release this question to other experts in hopes that you may return at a later time.

Thanks for your time.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help with your issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It seems that since I installed the latest MAC OS, it takes several minutes for my system to restart. Is that to be expected ?
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

How long does it take?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont want to verify the time, but it seems like at least five minutes.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Which macOS do you have now?