Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 slide copier. What do I

Customer Question

I have a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 slide copier. What do I need to connect it to an iMac 21.5 inch computer so that I can scan slides.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?
Customer: OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5
JA: How long has this been going on with your iMac? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I do not have a physical connection between the scanner and the Mac. Am I missing a necessary piece of equipment?
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think if I can identify a cord or connection I probably can get it operating.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Yes, you need to buy the cable to connect the scanner to your Mac. This is the cable you need (name of the cable is USB 2.0 A-Male to B-Male cable) --> https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Cable-Nikon-CoolScan-Scanner/dp/B01HM0EAZ6

If you have a cable that came with any printer there, then you can use it as well.

But there is an issue. Nikon doesn't officially support Mac OS X 10.10, so even if you connect it, your Mac may not recognize the scanner since there are no official drivers. But you can use third party scanning applications like VueScan to scan. See here --> https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/nikon_coolscan_5000_ed.html

VueScan is a third party application which supports most of all the scanners out there, but VueScan is a paid app. So try the trial version of VueScan first.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.