Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

How do i backup or copy all my data on my Macbook to my

onedrive account. I tried to...
how do i backup or copy all my data on my Macbook to my onedrive account. I tried to copy and paste but it keeps stopping. there should be a way i pick up where I left off, right?
7/23/2017
Mike, Mac Medic

Welcome to justanswer.com a fee based Answer site. My name is ***** ***** verified Mac Expert not affiliated with Apple. Please reply to continue.

By "all the data" you mean just Documents or your whole hard drive? You only get 5 GB free do you pay for more storage?

the whole hard drive. I have 1T onedrive storage

It sounds like you're looking to use OneDrive as a Time Machine solution, which isn't possible. You can store your important data and files in your OneDrive account, but you can't store a backup of your entire hard drive, including the OS and applications, the way Time Machine does.

I suggest you read this: https://www.howtogeek.com/196315/6-ways-to-actually-use-1-tb-of-cloud-storage/

If you want a backup of your hard drive I suggest you use Time Machine with an external or local network drive

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

ok. I just want to copy my important files to one drive. but the files are large and there are many of them. so I copy all and pasted on one drive. left it to do my stuff. but it always stops after awhile. is there either 1) a way it does not stop (my hard drive and screen is already set to not sleep) or 2) a way I can pick up where it stopped.

No that's the problem with OneDrive and large files you just have to try again but see: Store — But Don’t Sync — Large Files in the link I sent you

I tried a few times. why does it stop uploading when its not yet done. I put never shut down already for my hard drive and my screen on my Mac.

How large are these files?

there are a number of folders each the file. adds up to be a few gigs.

A few gigs should be fine I suggest you check your drive for errors:

10.11 or above

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.

________

10.10 or below

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

also when i upload the files, the folders will upload but when I open the folders, there are no documents uploaded in the folders. So i guess it only uploaded the folder names but not any actual files/data

Right you have to put them in the One Drive folder and use the app

do you think it stopped uploading when I am not at the computer?
i think i have the one drive APP cause when i went on to your link, it said that I can update my onedrive APP.

Not the ONeDrive folder in your browser the folder on your computer

I wanted to reinstall my outlook/office. But I don't know where all the files associated could be over the years, it might have been stored in different locations. So I thought I just copy my whole hard disk to one drive. then I won't risk losing anything. my hard drive is about 100GB and I have 1T on one drive storage space
i have the onedrive APP and folder on my computer. what i worry is that i don't have much hard drive space. last time, i remember my data stored both on onedrive cloud and also duplicated on my computer onedrive folder. that meant i had no more hard drive space.
i remember you advised me to install additional hard drive space on my mac previously. I might have to do that now too

You can't backup applications using One Drive you have to use Time Machine for that you must buy an external HD as well as upgrade your current drive.

ok. where do I upgrade my current drive again? I should just do that now.

It is a physical part of your computer that has to be replaced unless your are very skilled at taking computers apart this has to be done at Apple or another service provider. You will need to back it up first using Time Machine

Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic