Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

I got a message to call a number saying a virus was detected

Customer Question

i got a message to call a number saying a virus was detected and my personal info at risk. is that a scam?
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?
Customer: where do i find that
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: my computer is working, i got that message when i was browsing on willow website
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to know if that msg was a scam
Category: Mac
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Absolutely. No one knows what is in your pc but you unless you are hacked. And what you say is

a 'link' for a webpage that gives you a popup to tell you to call a number. Pay them 199.99 or more.

Then they sign you up after remoting in and put software on your pc. Most are adware and trackers.

You can go here to report this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/reportascam/

I would also run a virus scan on your pc with your antivirus just to be sure. As long as you didnt let them in

your computer and run that, you should be fine.

Please rate this solution with the 5 star rating to close out as it is the only way i am listed as successful and credited by the companies ledger

of solutions finished. If you need further assistance, just leave a reply and we will continue as opposed to closing out the question and email

updates between us.

Thank you,

~Franklin