Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I'm getting a new macbook pro and I have a 2011 macbook pro.

Hi I'm getting a new macbook pro and I have a 2011 macbook pro.
How do I migrate the data over? Is it going to be quicker since it has Thunderbolt connection? Thanks!

Welcome to justanswer.com a fee based Answer site. My name is ***** ***** verified Mac Expert not affiliated with Apple. Please reply to continue.

Yes connect them together using the TB cable and start up the old one while holding the T key until you see a logo on the screen. Then when you start up the new MacBook Pro it will ask if you want to transfer from an old Mac... choose your old Mac account.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mike will all the programs/appications come over to the new computer just fine?

Yes they should if they work with the new system you nay have to update some