Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

When I try to open IPhoto, it states that my photo library

When I try to open IPhoto, it states that my photo library is either in use by another application or has become unreadable.
JA: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?
Customer: MacBook Pro....how do I find out the OS?
JA: When did you purchase your MacBook? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've had the MacBook for about 4-5 years. I have tried to restart/shut down my computer. I tried to hold down Option and Command while opening IPhoto, but am unsure how to proceed from there. I am terrified that I am going to lose all of my photos.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Welcome to justanswer.com a fee based Answer site. My name is ***** ***** verified Mac Expert not affiliated with Apple. Please reply to continue.

I will need some information before we begin:

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:

• Version ? (right under Mac OS X)
  • Processor
  • Memory
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Version 10.9.5
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OK first:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Once you check that I will give you instructions to remote connect

If that is ok let me know...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was ok

Using the computer that has the issue, click on the link below and when the webpage opens click on Join your Session, then select Download and allow the app to run. If you get a message saying "identity cannot be confirmed” or “Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers” go to System Preferences / Security & Privacy / select the General tab and at the bottom click on Open Anyway, then look for my messages on your screen: http://mikethemacmedic.com:8040/?Session=7efa2205-57f6-40ef-aaa0-d730a80e8e9b

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is still doing something since i clicked repair disk permissions
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do i get out of this Repair Disk Permissions , or do i wait for it to finish

Wait for it to finish then restart the computer and follow the directions