Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Trying to reinstall Snow Leopard OS X to my 2009 Macbook pro…

Trying to reinstall Snow...

Trying to reinstall Snow Leopard OS X to my 2009 Macbook pro after the flashing ? folder appeared. The re install is at "Select the disk you want to install Mac OS X" to and the options are blank???? Help???

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?

2009 IOS 10 yosemite

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

We tried but it didnt work

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

Turning it off and holding command r while turning it on

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?

Also command r+p while restrating I have the snow leopard disk in now and its at the screen to choose where to install and there arent any options in the box

Answered in 1 minute by:
7/19/2017
Mike, Mac Medic

Welcome to justanswer.com a fee based Answer site. My name is ***** ***** verified Mac Expert not affiliated with Apple. Please reply to continue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know what I should do?

Restart with the disk in and hold down the letter C key. When you get to the install screen do not install choose Utilities from the top of the screen and choose Disk Utility select Macintosh HD and Erase if that's what you want to do if not choose Verify Disk and repair if necessary then quit Disk Utility and then Install

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or how I can select a disk to install it to?

The disk is either corrupt or has failed follow my instructions and let me know what happens

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should I just push the off button while the disk is in?

Yes then Restart and hold the C key

It should boot from the disk

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just waiting for it to get past the apple logo and the spinning thing

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the two things in the disk utility to choose from are .... HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS2 3N or Mac OS X install DVD
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any thoughts

Then I'm afraid you are out of luck that is the DVD drive and your install disk if you do not see any hard drive then it has failed and needs to be replaced... They are pretty cheap now and much faster if you get an SSD drive. Sorry.

It is probably worth doing. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are all sorts of things in the menu bar...verify...burn...new image...convert??? any of those options??? I dont have to reinstall Snow Leopard. It was just the only thing that got the screen to change
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Isnt there something else I can try?

No if you do not see a hard drive other than what you told me in the left column there is no drive because it has failed. If it was never replaced before that lived well beyond it's normal life...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What has failed?

You hard drive is dead

And needs to be replaced

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ah. So maybe we need a new cable for the hard drive?

No you need a new hard drive! They normally only last about 4-5 years with normal use

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It offers me to select an image to verify??? would that help anything?

No your hard drive is dead end of story

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oh

They are cheaper and faster so it may work out for the best

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oh. Can I get that at Fry's electronics?

Yes. Have it replaced with an SSD a solid state hard drive and then resintall. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question for no extra charge. Thanks!!

Mike, Mac Medic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Thanks. Good luck