Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Lots of popups. The last few days I have been having trouble

Customer Question
Lots of popups....
Lots of popups. The last few days I have been having trouble with my Macbook pro. I keep getting a popup that appears on my screen playing an ad. I also had a call from my bank's fraud division that a company called media link out of Canada had tried to charge my card with a small fee. I had joined SCRIBD online for no fee for 30 days and this other page pops up asking for my info.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is older, about 7-8 years. Is the operating system OSX El Capitan?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess not. I will want to know cost before I do anything.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mac
7/13/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech replied 6 months ago
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech

I'm sorry about the issue. If you use Safari application for accessing the Internet / websites, then please try the following fix:

Solution #1:

1. In Safari app, click on the Safari menu at the top, then click on Preferences.
  2. Click on General tab near the top.
  3. There, delete everything in the Homepage field.
  4. Click on the Extensions tab at the top.
  5. There, disable / uninstall all the bad extensions, if any.
  6. Close the window and save if prompted.
  7. Click on the Safari menu at the top, then click on Quit Safari.
  8. Re-open Safari app and check.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Solution #2:

1. In Safari app, click on the Safari menu at the top, then click on Quit Safari.
  2. Next, press and keep holding the Shift key on the computer's keyboard, and open the Safari application.
  3. Once the Safari application is open, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. Then see if the popup issue is resolved now.

- What's your Internet browser application?

I do not use Safari. I use google.

I'm sorry. Do you mean Google Chrome?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Please try the following fix:

1. In Google Chrome app, click on the 3-dot icon (or 3-bar icon) at the upper right corner, then click on option Settings.
    - (If needed, in Google Chrome app, click on the Chrome menu at the top, then click on Preferences.)
  2. Scroll down to the bottom, then click on the option Reset (or option Reset settings.)
    - Note: If the Reset option is not available, click on the option Advanced first, then scroll down to bottom again, then click on option Reset (or Reset settings.)
  3. Click on option Reset again.
  4. Wait a couple of minutes.
  5. Click on the Chrome menu at the top, then click on option Quit Chrome
  6. Re-open the Google Chrome app.
  7. Then see if the popup issue is resolved now.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

How is it going?

It looks like you are away. We can schedule tomorrow or another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech