Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Ugh! Almost too crazy to describe. Ok - the most important

Customer Question

Ugh! Almost too crazy to describe. Ok - the most important thing to me are my pictures and videos of my baby and other kids. I bought a new iPhone with Verizon to take to disney but before I activated the new phone I wanted to do two things - make sure the pictures were backed up and download them on my computer. Well, I got confused and instead of just checking to see that my phone had backed up recently, I turned on photo library. So it started downloading and uploading thousands of things. I have been to disney and back now with my old phone. I was so mixed up about what was going on. It seems like it must start all over every time I leave a wifi connection. Today, a computer expert told me just to let it sit there and finish, but it was doing so much - like 15,000 or more. Well I only have 8,000 pictures and several hundred videos. Then it hit me. Somehow my daughter and I have the same iTunes account because all her music appears on my phone. I don't download it, but I can see it. And I can see all her search activity on her Mac Air - if I wanted to.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: i certainly don't want her pictures. I should have just kept the regular backup of my iPhone. I just got confused and don't know if I can go back or what is bedt
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: TV?
JA: Anything else you want the smartphone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to make sure I have everything off my phone safe.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I still have not activated my new iPhone because I am still trying to figure out if I have backed up my picture properly
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pictures and videos I mean
Expert:  Justin Johnson replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

Did you back it up to your computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No

When you say activate what do you mean by that?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The new iPhone is not turned on by Verizon yet. I told them I was not going to switch to that phone until everything on my current phone is backed up. It is registered with them. I bought it at our local verizon store
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess I will call them when I am ready or do it online.

Are you going to get to keep both phones?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But only to have another backup for my pictures since they are in the phone
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I only have one number for myself. Obviously our family has multiple phones since I seem to be forever tied to my daughter for some reasom
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It keeps doing this over and over. I guess every time I leave wifi it starts over.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I only have 8000 pictures. 500 video clips
The rest must be hers I guess

Are you backing your phone up to iCloud?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had been, I guess automatically looking back. But I guess I got confused and saw that the library switch was turned off and then I turned it on. Evidently you can't do both. I had plenty of iCloud storage

If you turn it on it may take a while to sync. How long did you give it?

Either way activating the new phone isn't going to keep you from having your photos on the new phone. You just may need to import them to your computer and then put the on the new phone.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had wanted to also put them on iCloud but it seems difficult.

It is easy. Do you have a mac?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Perfect. I can help make sure everything is backed up and ready to transfer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have little kids. Can I do this tomorrow?

Sure thing. I will be on tomorrow.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Do I just pay for what we have done so far? If so, how do I get back to you?

You would go back to this message. I have proposed Remote Tech Support. Once you accept that I can remotely connect with you and help you get everything sorted.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome.