Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am trying to download pictures from my Canon Rebel T6 to

Customer Question
my 2015 Mac Book Pro...
I am trying to download pictures from my Canon Rebel T6 to my 2015 Mac Book Pro using a usb cable. However, nothing pops up.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook?
Customer: X Yosemite version 10.10.5 Is what my About this mac says
JA: When did you purchase your MacBook? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I Purchased it in 2015
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing other than my issue with getting my pictures from my camera to my computer
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mac
7/12/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 4 months ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You can use Image Capture or Photos app to download photos to your Mac.

Go to Applications folder and open Photos app. Then connect the Camera and it will show the camera in it (If you don't see it, then click on View menu and select Show Sidebar. Then you will see the camera in the left column). Click it and you can import photos. Refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21296?locale=en_GB&viewlocale=en_US

You can also use Image Capture to import photos to your Mac. Go to Applications folder and open Image Capture application. It will recognize your camera and show it in left column under Devices. Select it and it will load your photos. Select and import them.

Another option is, you can take out the SD card from the camera and put it on your Mac's SD Card slot directly. When you do this, you can import using Photos or Image Capture. Or the SD card will appear on desktop. Open it and you can simply drag and drop the photos to your Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

I tried the image capture and the photos app twice and nothing popped up. The image capture is saying "No camera or scanner connected."
Is there any other advice you can give me? Could I be doing something wrong on the camera side of things?

Make sure the cable is properly plugged in. Also, when you connect the cable to Mac from Camera, your camera may ask you to put it to USB mode. So select that option

Have you tried taking out the SD card from the camera and putting it directly to the SD card slot of your Mac ? This is the fastest and easiest way to transfer photos to computer

If your Mac is still not recognizing it, then we can install some official drivers and software. Go to this website --> https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-rebel-t6-ef-s-18-55mm-is-ii-kit

Click DRIVERS and DOWNLOADS.

Then download and install the following

EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 32.2A for Mac OS X

Digital Photo Professional 4.6.30 for Mac OS X

EOS Utility 3.6.30 for Mac OS X

Then open EOS Utility app and connect the camera. Does it recognize the camera ?

You are being so helpful thank you for your patience with me.
I downloaded those you told me to. You say to open the EOS utility app... what is that? Is that one of the things I have just downloaded?

Yes, those are official apps from Canon for your camera. After downloading them, you have to open the downloaded file and install each.

it is unfortunately still not recognizing the camera.
The EOS utility app tells me to connect an eos camera even though my camera is connected through the usb cable. It then gives me two options... "close" or "pairing over WI-FI/LAN"

When you connect the USB cable, what does the screen of Camera says ?

Did you install the "EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 32.2A for Mac OS X" ?

It does not say anything. The screen looks like it normally does when i turn the camera on.
Yes I installed the"EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 32.2A for Mac OS X"

It is supposed to bring USB options if it recognize a connection to computer. Are you sure the cable is working properly ?

Can you take out the SD card from the camera and put it to the SD card slot of your Mac ? Does your Mac recognize the card ?

I just read some articles regarding the issue and found that the camera can't utilize both WiFi and USB at same time. Is the WiFi of your camera ON ? If so, disable it. Then connect with the cable. Does the utility recognize it ?

Disable WiFi on the camera. On Camera, press Menu button. Use the arrow keys to go to Settings 3 tab. Select WiFi/NFC option and disable it.

Then connect the camera to the Mac with USB cable. Does your Mac recognize it via the Canon Utility or Image Capture ?

I have never used this USB cable before. It came with my camera when I purchased it so it is as good as new.Previously before I tried connecting my camera to my computer via a cable I tried downloading my pictures by inserting my SD card in my computer. However that is a whole other issue... Basically once the pictures are downloaded I can not view the images. When I click on an image on my computer, I can not view the image. It is just a grey background with a triangle and an exclamation mark.
my wifi on the camera has been disabled this whole time.
The image capture and the photos and the EOS Utility all are not recognizing my camera

Sounds like you downloaded RAW images before. After inserting the SD card, use Image Capture or Photos app to download the photos in a readable JPG format (can also download RAW)

Insert the SD card to your Mac. Open Photos app and click File > Import

I just did what you said about inserting the SD card. I was able to successfully import all of the photos. However the same issue I was having before has happened. When I click on the photo to view it the image is grey with a triangle and an exclamation point in the middle.

Close Photos app. Hold down Command and Options keys on keyboard and open Photos. Repair the library when asked.

If that didn't work, then open Photos app, select a photo and rotate it and rotate it back. Does it appear now ?

Neither of those worked. When I try to rotate it, it does not let me select the rotate button or any of the other "edit" options.

I'm really sorry. I'm out of ideas on this one. I will open this question to other experts in here. If they have any idea, they will get back to you. If no one get back to you, I will request JustAnswer to refund you.

No need to rate the answer anything.

And if possible, try with another USB cable and try another USB port

I am thinking my SD card has someone been "damaged" and that is why I am not able to import photos to my computer directly from my SD card. This is why I was trying to do this via a cable. Is there another option of downloading maybe? I have a Canon Camera app on my phone that lets me import pictures form my camera to my phone via wifi on my camera. Is there a way i can do this on my Mac? Like is there an app or a way i can connect my Mac to my camera wifi like I do on my phone?
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** was reviewing your question but have you tried the following. Sounds like you may just need to disable the "WiFi/NFC". See if you can find the "WiFi/NFC" option on your camera and if it says that it is enabled please disable. Then try and connect your camera via USB cable to your mac again and see what happens.

Once you have the "WiFi/NFC" disabled just reference the link below to make sure you have a couple other settings complete before you connect to the mac.

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49781

One of the first things I did was disable the Wifi. It has been disabled this whole time.

OK sorry, I was not to familiar but I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you for trying and I really all of appreciate Ashik's help. I do plan on leaving a review of how patient he was. However, everything suggested has not helped with my issue. How long until I will receive my refund?
Mac Support Specialist: Justin Johnson, Mac Genius replied 4 months ago
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius

Hi! I am Justin. Let me look over your question and see if I can help. Also do you have an SD card in your Canon Rebel T6?

I have an SD card in my camera. My boyfriend has a Mac Book Air and the photos from the SD card transfer perfectly fine but they will not transfer correctly to my MacBook Pro. They will import successfully but when I click on the photo to view it, it is grey with a triangle and an exclamation mark in it.

What if you drag the folder of photos on to the desktop and then try to import them? Does that work?

No that unfortunately did not work. Thank you for all of your help. I need these pictures right now so I am going to import them on my boyfriend's MacBook Air. Thank you for your help and trying. If it is possible to be refunded I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.

The the answer is that iPhoto needs repaired.

Follow these steps to use the Photos repair tool:

1. Make sure that you've backed up your main Photos library.
  2. Quit Photos if it's open.
  3. Press and hold the Option and Command keys as you open Photos again.
  4. The Repair Library dialog appears.

This will fix the issue.

I have already done this multiple times today when Ashik was helping me earlier today. I have been trying to repair this issue since 3pm today. I appreciate the help however I have projects needed to be completed tonight and I do not have any more time to spend on this. I plan on giving you guys a good review for all of the time and help you put into my problem. I do not plan on giving you guys a bad review. Ashik was very helpful and so were you guys despite solving the issue in a timely manner. Thank you and have a good night.

Ok. Cheers! Good luck on the project!

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius