Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My 2007 imac is completely dead after a power outage. If I

Customer Question

My 2007 imac is completely dead after a power outage.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?
Customer: If I remember correctly it's 10.7 or 8. Apple will not update it any further.
JA: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Purchased new in 2007. Tried holding down apple+option+r key, then pressing power etc
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to assist you.

Please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you. Also please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant. We appreciate your patience.

Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

do any lights come on when you press the power button?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No lights. Completely dead.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

have you tried replacing the fuse in the plug, that is the first thing you need to check.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Checked the end of the cord that plugs into the back of the imac. It is delivering 120vac.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

Okay I presume then that the outage must have somehow affected the internal power supply unit, that is the most likely cause.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How can I find the model number of the imac assuming I can't turn it on? It's early 2007.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

apple always identify their macs with a model number in small writing on the back, something like A1255. there is always an A followed by 4 numbers, usually in very small writing.