Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Having problems restoring from old iMac to new with Time

Customer Question
Machine JA: What Operating System (OS)...
having problems restoring from old iMac to new with Time Machine
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iMac?
Customer: The new one is Sierra. Just purchased
JA: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Today
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Wireless Time Capsule restore problem
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mac
6/16/2017
Mac Support Specialist: Jon, Mac Enthusiast replied 5 months ago
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

What happens when you try and restore from time machine? Does it give you a message or some type of error message?

If you go into system preferences and choose time machine, you can look in there for a red circle with the letter "i" in the middle and if you click it, it will tell you some detail on what the issue might be. Let me know.

I was able to log in to it when starting up the new machine and choosing restore from backup but got a failure message partway through, now get keychain error -25307 occurred while creating a System Keychain entry for the username “Chris McNeil” and URL “afp://Chris%[email protected]_afpovertcp._tcp.local./Data”
I get that when trying to reconnect to Time Machine disc
It's the same password ***** worked initially to connect

OK there has been several different Time machine issues with Sierra but have you actually made sure your Sierra is upgraded all the way to 10.12.5

It is 10.12.4

OK well, you can try and go to 10.12.5 because the usual fix has a lot of steps.Here is what usually fixes this issue. One sec ...typing

If you are able to get into terminal on the mac that your trying to do the restore on with time machine then do the following:

• open terminal - search for this or go to applications> Utilities ▹ Terminal
  • Type in the following command:
  • chflags norestricted /V*/*/L*/Keyc*/*

• Wait for a new line ending in a hash sign (#) to appear in terminal.

• Quit Terminal to be returned to the main screen.

• Then restart your mac  Restart

• Then open terminal again after the restart and type in the following:

• sudo xattr -c /L*/Keyc*/*

• Restart one more time and then try time machine again.

When I typed in
chflags norestricted /V*/*/L*/Keyc*/*
I did not get a new line ending in a hash tag.
I'm a novice on anything Mac, usually use Windows, so maybe I'm missing something about how to use the terminal?
Mike, Mac Medic