Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have produced a movie with iMovie ver 10.1.4 on a Mac

I have produced a...

I have produced a movie with iMovie ver 10.1.4 on a Mac running OS 10.12.4. I want to export the movie to a DVD (i.e., create a DVD that can play the movie). I used to be able to do that using an old version of iDVD. But now I get a multiplexing error each time I try. Apparently the latest version of OS no longer works with iDVD. What can

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

I do

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

None

5/24/2017
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to help you today. I may have some follow-up questions to help me better understand your question.

Would you be able to give me the exact error working or attach a screenshot please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let's go
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will take some time to generate the error again. i have started

Would it be ok to wait?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The error message is as follows:
Error during rendering/encoding
There was an error during rendering/encoding of the menus/slideshows. The burning process has been canceled.

I had this issue, too. Thought it may be the video but wasn't --> it was a few of the photos. Turns out if you've done any type of layering with TIFF files in Photoshop and not "rendered" the file, it trips up iDVD. It looks fine in iDVD until you go to burn the disk (and the "Error during..." message appears). So, I would recommend checking out your photos and making sure they're all rendered correctly.

The way I figured it out was (as someone else suggested) removing each menu (or item) one at a time and attempting to burn the DVD. You can quickly narrow down where the trouble areas / files are -- and go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how would I do layering with tiff files?
The only thing I have done with any of the photos is some standard editing in the Photos app

What format are the photos in?>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
jpeg

Are they all in jpeg?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
except for a few video clips in m4v

Ok - I'm stuck here and going to opt out for another epoxert to assist you

Mike, Mac Medic

If you can just export the movie to a file then use the free app Burn to make your DVD. http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try that now and let you know

OK

Also in my opinion Toast Titanium is the best DVD and Blu-Ray burning software out there for Mac but it is not free: http://www.roxio.com

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for that advice. I had wondered. Burn first converted the mp4 movie to mpg. It was full of static. So I ran again. This copy seems static free. Burning DVD now. Will let you know.

Great!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The DVD plays on my computer, but not on my DVD. Get msg that it won't play because of area restrictions. didn't see an area choice on Burn and it DID play on my computer

OK right before the burn start it asks if you want PAL or NTSC make sure you choose NTSC the default may be PAL that are for European DVD players. Do you remember seeing that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does not ask. Would it play in my computer if it were PAL?

Yes it will play on your computer but not on a US DVD player... go to Burn / Preferences / Video / General is the region set to PAL or NTSC?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you ! Yes, it was set on PAL. have changed it and will try again

Ok let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thought we had it, but no. As before "playback prohibited by area limitations"

Wow that should work I can only suggest trying again or try Toast Titanium or there is another free one here: http://simplyburns.sourceforge.net

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. Let you know - probably tomorrow

OK, just double check the settings I changed it here and it didn't stick I had to do it again

Mike, Mac Medic