Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I recently updated my phone to the 7 so I changed all my

Customer Question

I recently updated my phone to the 7 so I changed all my devices imac macbook to the new sierra. In doing that I lost iphoto which was a very important part of my business workflow. I need a program now that crops images without having 5 steps to each image. I have photoshop but it is confusing for the simple task i need. Non destuctive cropping, and iphoto was perfect to crop hundreds of images to the same crop without changing in between. On the apple forum I was told to get lightroom but the apps seem like they are tutorials. Please help!!! I am so behind on my work.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I have mac ox sierra 10.12.4 on both mack book and imac
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Just the new operating system
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: did you read what i wrote you?
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to help you. I'm a computer business owner based in Scotland - UK. I have over 10 years experience in computing and a Bsc Bachelors Degree in Computer Science.

I will try and assist you, please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you. Please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant. We appreciate your patience

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Im waiting?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When will my question be answered?
Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

Hi the iphoto app is supposed to be included in sierra, so I am unsure as to what has happened. I am just checking on repairing sierra or downloading iphoto as an app, 2 minutes please.. jay

Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

Hi you should be able to download iphoto here, please try this and let me know is that worked - https://support.apple.com/downloads/iphoto

* Please click on the blue link above *

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does not let me update. It says iphoto is no longer available. I need to know a comparable program?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This does not help me. I was already told on apple forum that I can not update the iphoto apple no longer uses it.
Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

The most comparable on is apple aperture 3.4.4 - https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1649?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Please try this and let me know if that is okay for you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
wont let me open that either?
Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

thats weird as that one is definitely compatible with sierra. I am suspecting that there may be something wrong with your mac, if you like I could run tests on it and if necessary help you make the repair. However I would need to connect to do all this and it could take some time.

Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

i have to go away but will be back in 15 minutes. Thanks. Jay

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No there is nothing wrong those are old programs that are outdated.
Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

its says that it is suitable for osx OS X 10.8.2 or later

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have upgraded to Sierra and they no longer use iphoto. And that aperture would not upload either.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It says i need an older version of aperture for that update?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have an appointment now will check back later. If you can't help me do I get my money back? I paid 30.00 for an answer?
Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

Hi yes if I can't help you do get a refund, I will keep looking into this for you and if I can't find something suitable. I will then re-open the question so that other experts can assist you.

Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

can you look in your applications folder and tell me if there is an app called "Photos" ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Of course I have photos, that is what i am using and do not like, that is what replaced Iphoto. The cropping is five steps to every photo. i was told lightroom would work but Im not sure which lightroom program I need that crops without having to change the crop tool between each photo.
Expert:  Jay D replied 5 months ago.

how about i give you a lesson in adobe photoshop?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have photoshop and know how to use it. I do not want to load thousands of photos into photoshop. My original question was I need an easy program comparable to Iphoto to crop my photos. I'm sorry but it said you were a mac expert? Thank you anyway.