Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am trying to restore Mavericks from Time Machine. I have

Customer Question

I am trying to restore Mavericks from Time Machine. I have done it before and then it went smoothly. Now the installation process stops with a message that the installation can't be completed. I do know may way around the Mac, having used it for more than 30 years. I do not have Mavericks on a bootable drive, only on the Time Machine. So I am using a Snow Leopard installation DVD to enter the Time Machine. I do have a Yosemite bootable USB but it doesn't allow me to enter TM.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: OK
JA: What's the model of your Apple device (e.g. Macbook, iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc.)?
Customer: iMac early 2009
JA: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I bought it in 2009. I have tried to install from TM two times. Failed both times after about 50% restore
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am right now verifying the TM disk with Disk Utility. Takes a long time
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here are two lists since the TM crash:a) Intervals_148A4948-4BBA-58C5-A577-D5979A3BE47E.plist
bplist00›
0123WOSBuild_LastRosettaShortRuns\UserDurationWMTUsage_Last Logged MAS Usage Date_RosettaLongRuns_Last Logged MAS Usage\appDurationsYMAS Usage_RosettaShortRuns_LastRosettaUsageLogDate^RootCrashCount_LastRosettaLongRuns]10.6.8:10K549–B3Aæ¡@'0ê––fl !"#$%&'()*)+,-./_([com.apple.SoftwareUpdate] [270] [4.0.6]_![com.apple.mrt.uiagent] [1] [1.0]_![com.apple.mrt.uiagent] [1] [1.2]_([com.apple.SoftwareUpdate] [271] [4.0.6]_)[com.apple.QuickLookDaemon] [327.7] [2.3]_'[com.apple.FlashUpdaterAgent] [1] [1.0]_.[com.apple.IncompatibleAppDisplay] [380] [305]_)[com.apple.QuickLookDaemon] [327.6] [2.3]_.[com.google.Keystone.Agent] [1.2.8.57] [1.2.8]_#[DivXMediaServer] [(null)] [(null)]_([com.apple.iCal.helper] [1395.7] [4.0.4]_.[com.apple.coreservices.uiagent] [41.5] [41.5]_-[com.apple.WebProcess] [6534.59.10] [6534.59]_([com.apple.Safari] [6534.59.10] [5.1.10]_$[com.apple.finder] [10.6.8] [10.6.8]_[com.divx.DivXUpdate] [1] [1.0]=F
åuu––3¬-c»≈–#+BOWtÜû´µ»‚Ò$%&ItòºÁ=nöÀÒM}®œÒÙˆ¯˙¸˛ 
 4b) UserCrashHistory_148A4948-4BBA-58C5-A577-D5979A3BE47E.plistbplist00“WOSBuild^UserCrashCount]10.6.8:10K549
$24
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How can you troubleshoot TM by connecting to my computer?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please note that right now I am running 10.6.8 as for emergency
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Are you trying to recover and restore the entire Mac, including all files, all applications, and OS X system software from the Time Machine backup?

I am unable to troubleshoot remotely for you.

Let me check if another tech can assist further...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't see how connecting to my computer will fix my Time Machine. By checking the TM disk I can see that everything is there. I just cannot restore from the disk because the process stops after about 50% restore. I have restored from TM before without any problems. I do not want to go to Yosemite because my iMac didn't handle it well. So all I want to do is restoring my Mavericks system. Can you tell me why TM stops restoring and how i can fix it?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
34;Are you trying to recover and restore the entire Mac, including all files, all applications, and OS X system software from the Time Machine backup?"Yes, that is what I am trying. I have done that before without any problems. There is nothing wrong with my disks. I am using a Snow Leopard startup DVD to access the TM backup since my bootable Yosemite on an USB stick won't let me open TM
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have found another crash reporter in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports about DivXMediaServer. Could that be the culprit?Process: DivXMediaServer [296]
Path: /Library/Application Support/DivX/DivXMediaServer.app/Contents/MacOS/DivXMediaServer
Identifier: DivXMediaServer
Version: ??? (???)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [219]Date/Time: 2017-05-08 23:49:10.590 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6 (10A432)
Report Version: 6Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /usr/local/Qt/4.8.1-macosx105/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore
Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/DivX/DivXMediaServer.app/Contents/MacOS/DivXMediaServer
Reason: image not found
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, I am going to try to restore once more from the TM. Since it restored about 50% of the disk it might well by bootable and then I can restore individual files manually. I'll let you know how it worked.
Expert:  Justin Johnson replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I am Justin. It looks like Pete opted out of this question. I will be here if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. I assume you have read everything above. Do you have any ideas why the Time Machine restore stopped and what I can do to fix it? Fyi I installed Yosemite instead of my Mavericks bakcup and then used the migration option to get all my apps and docs from the same TM and that worked. Then I redownloaded Mavericks from the App store (and am going to make a bootable installation USB drive). Finally I upgraded my old iMac to El Capitan and will try it out for a month. If it is as buggy as Yosemite I will downgrade to Mavericks via the USB drive and then use the migration option again.
It seems that justanswer is not able to help me locating and fixing my original problem. If that is the case I will ask for my money back.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I do not want you to remote connect to my device because I cannot see how that is going to solve my problem. The problem occured when I had restarted my Mac with a Snow Leopard install disk, reformatted my drive and then entered Time Machine to restore my disk with my latest backup. TM stopped after restoring a little less than 50%. How are you going to troubleshoot that by remotely connecting to my computer? Anyway I have already paid you enough. If you cannot help me then just say so and I will ask for my money back.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

You can boot from your backup drive.... Hold Option on restart until you see a list of boot partitions, choose the Time Machine backup to boot from, then open the Disk Utility select your main drive at the very top on the left, choose the Erase tab name it Macintosh HD and Erase then quit the Disk Utility and select Restore from Time Machine. You can also boot from Internet Recovery if your iMac supports it (Hold Option Command R) and install the original system that came on the Mac and go from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know all that. The problem is that the restore stops after a little less than 50% restored.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

In my experience it can take up to 8 hours or more to restore depending on the data. If you erase the drive and install clean system you have to upgrade to at least the system version of the backup or higher then make a fake account and login, then use the Migrations Assistant but do not restore system settings...

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

If you do it that way make sure you wait at least overnight before stopping it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I DID NOT STOP IT!!!!!!!
It stopped itself with an error message. I have done this before without any problem so I know what I am doing. I am not a newbie. I have used computers since 1981. Please do not treat me like a newbie.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry how would I know what your experience is I am just being thorough... no offense intended... ok of course there could be a problem with your backup drive or the data.... boot to Recovery HD and check it with the Disk Utility , then try again.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Did you boot from the backup drive and erase your main drive then do what I suggested using the Migrations Assistant? Do not use Snow Leopard disk...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is my first input here:"I am trying to restore Mavericks from Time Machine. I have done it before and then it went smoothly. Now the installation process stops with a message that the installation can't be completed. I do know may way around the Mac, having used it for more than 30 years. I do not have Mavericks on abootable drive, only on the Time Machine. So I am using a Snow Leopard installation DVD to enter the Time Machine. I do have a Yosemite bootable USB but it doesn't allow me to enter TM.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: OK
JA: What's the model of your Apple device (e.g. Macbook, iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc.)?
Customer: iMac early 2009
JA: When did you purchase your iMac? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I bought it in 2009. I have tried to install from TM two times. Failed both times after about 50% restore
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am right now verifying the TM disk with Disk Utility. Takes a long time"There does not seem to be any problem with that drive. Furthermore, when I installed Yosemite yesterday evening and then used the Migration assistant to get all my data (apps and docs), everything went smoothly. What puzzles me is that I had no problems doing this a few years ago with the same bootup disk, same Time Machine disk and the same OS.Anyway, I have now upgraded to El Capitan. I have a copy of the Mavericks OS and will make a bootable USB drive to do a clean install of that system if I am not happy with 10.11 (I was very unhappy with Yosemite). I am keeping the last Mavericks backup of my disk so I can go back in time after a week or two with a clean install of 10.9 and then using the MA.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I did not boot from the backup drive. As I said I am going to try El Capitan. If I decide to go back I will try to boot from the backup drive. and do the installation from there. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Is the system that is backed up on the Time Machine drive Mavericks or earlier? You can't restore a newer backup to an older system maybe you already know that but I am just making sure...

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

You can always install a clean system from the backup drive no matter what version it is then Upgrade to whatever system you want before using the Migration Assistant... My point being you don't need to go through the process of making a bootable USB stick.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The system on TM is Mavericks. I was trying to restore it to a formatted drive. I am not trying to restore a newer backup to an older system. I know about clean install and upgrading. The problem is that the restoration from the TM drive stops after about 50%. That is why I am going to make a bootable USB stick: Install from the stick and then use MA to retrieve my data up to the last Mavericks backup. That's why I am not going to wait long before making this decision.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

OK I understand all that, I still don't understand why you have to make a bootable USB stick..,. If you checked the backup drive and it is ok my suggestion is still to install a clean system on the main drive using either the Time Machine drive to boot from or Recovery HD if it is still available. Then make a new account and upgrade to the system you want.... then use Migration Assistant. I think you can only upgrade for free to Sierra you might have to purchase El Capitan I am not sure how you were planning on making that drive: https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I will try that and if it still fails I'll make the stick. As I said I have upgraded to El Capitan already and will try that out for a few weeks before I decide whether i go back to Mavericks or not.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

I suggest you go to Sierra it has been out for quite a while and is very stable.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As far as I understand my iMac (early 2009) doesn't run Sierra.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

I know some models from 2009 were if you supply your serial number I can check.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

It is important that you do not restore your System Settings.... When you use the Migration Assistant