Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

IPhone Backup MacOS Seirra (Version 10.12.4) iPhone 6

iPhone BackupMacOS Seirra (Version 10.12.4) iPhone...
iPhone BackupMacOS Seirra (Version 10.12.4)
iPhone 6 (10.3.1)I had to perform a back through iTunes (12.6.0) because of my phone carrier settings. I have ALWAYS used iTunes for backups with no problems at all. I have Encrypt iPhone Backup turned OFF. When I attempt to restore a backup iTunes asks for a password. I have NO IDEA what the passwords is because I never setup one. I have tried (1) My passcode password ***** unlock my iPhone (2) My iTunes password (3) My Apple ID password. Still, nothing. I have never been prompt for a password ***** restore an iPhone backup.
4/19/2017
Danny Coloma
Danny Coloma, Mac Enthusiast

Hi, it is possible that it might have backed up the phone as encrypted. Go to iTunes and then up top next to the Apple Logo click iTunes>Preferences>Devices. You should see a list of backups there and if it has a padlock next to it then that backup was encrypted.

I sure do believe you and it definitely looks like you know what you're doing. Unfortunately, if it is encrypted there no way around it. Maybe by chance the phone has an iCloud backup. Have you tried selecting for the phone to restore from an iCloud backup and see if there are any recent backups that you would be happy restoring from? Another thing you can try is to use a program that will recover data from a backup and see if that program will ask for a password (which it should) and you can try all your known passwords and see if it accepts any of them. You can try apps like PhoneRescue or PhoneView. Some of them you can try as trial and it might let you get far enough as to see if it will allow you to unlock a backup and then you can decide if you need to pay for the full version.

Also, please try any older iTunes passwords you may have used in the past

8220;You should see a list of backups there and if it has a padlock next to it then that backup was encrypted.”(1) Since 2015 I’ve had a MacBook Pro and ALWAYS baked up my iPhone via iTunes, more recently once a week. From your experience, have you ever seen iTunes display 1 backup from devices KNOWING there were multiple backups made in the past?(2) Honestly, I do not trust iCloud or cloud based services though I certainly understand that in this case it would have come in handy. From your experience, do you use any other services such as iCloud, Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive?“Also, please try any older iTunes passwords you may have used in the past.”(3) I just can’t wrap my mind around this. EVERY backup I have ever done I’ve always left Encrypt iPhone backup UNCHECKED. Although I would like to try multiple passwords I really just don’t want to put the time into it, very exhausting when you’ve done everything correctly. Have you lost data before?
Hi, after doing some research online I found that some people were able to resolve it with older iTunes passwords or older admin passwords. I do use Dropbox and google drive all the time but not for backing iPhone content. iCloud is the only cloud service that will backup you phone completely. Other services might be able to backup certain data like pictures but nothing complete like iCloud. I haven't lost iPhone data before because I usually back it up to iTunes and ICloud just in case. Google Photos (app) can backup your pictures from your devices. If you are not able to restore any backup at all you might as well reset the phone as a new device and sign into your iCloud account on your phone and your iCloud content will come back. You can check that data at iCloud.com and see what is there and what will come back to your phone. There just isn't a way to bypass that encryption that your backup currently has.
Contacts are usually stored in the iCloud account or an email account has the capability to store contacts. The same goes for calendar events and Notes. Pictures will only be tied in to your iCloud account if you had the settings for it to upload to your account turned on. Dropbox can also backup photos from your device.
On another note, can I get your opinion?Almost a week ago, my iPhone 6 (iOS 10.3.1) continued to display that it was “searching for the network." I have some experience with Apple products because I have been loyal to the brand for over 20 years. So I immediately tried three things: (1) I turned my iPhone off several times hoping the reboot would work; it did not. (2) I then switched my iPhone into airplane mode hoping to toggle the connection; that did not work either. (3) I spoke with my carrier, AT&T, and they suggested to try the SIM card in another iPhone, which I did, and the network was operating so the card seemed to be okay. However, the network still says, "searching." Any ideas?
Aside from the phone maybe being defective if the issue persists what you can do is restore the device in iTunes so that it installs a fresh clean system and when it restarts just set it up as a new device without your iCloud account you can then see if the issue has gone away. If the issue continues when set up as a new device then there is something wrong with the hardware in that phone. The very last thing I would try is restoring the phone through DFU mode. Would you like me to get you a guide to getting the phone in DFU mode? If you find any of my information helpful the please consider giving a 5 star rating. Thank you.
Before all this actually you can try going into Settings>general>reset and reset all network settings and see if that helps first.
I did the iPhone restore, the network still says, "searching."From experience, has the DFU mode worked with a case like this before?
I have seen the DFU fix some things that a regular restore didn't but it's worth a shot. For the issue you're having I haven't seen DFU mode fix that. I work at an Apple shop and 99% of the phone that have a SIM card slot issue or "Searching" issue requires a replacement phone from Apple. They offer replacements at a lower cost than a new one. Replacement for a 6 is $299 with 90 days warranty only. Is your phone by chance still under warranty? You can send me the serial # and I can check for you in the Apple Database we have at work.
I should have included this: I have a case number (#100178819771) and spoke with a “senior advisor.” They basically said the same as you, “replacement for a 6 is $299 with 90 days warranty only.” Yes, my iPhone is out of warranty (C7JP3JV2G5MG). $299 is still pricy even for the same model. In all honesty, what would you do?

I wouldn't want to pay that much for the same device with such little warranty.. I would try to get a new one and upgrade through my carrier if possible.. I believe Apple might have some payment plan now for the new phones.. I would also try and sneak that phone passed Apple and take it to them for this trade in program they have where they take your device in and they give you a gift card with the amount that they offer. I would double check to make sure that gift card can be used towards the purchase of a new phone.

Here is a link to that Trade-In program

https://www.apple.com/iphone/trade-up/?afid=p238%7CsD9NrhLUc-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_161736254316_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-brand--slid--product-

After all the restore and DFU Mode and setting up as a new device if the device still shows that Searching issue then there's no choice but to get a new phone.

Also, consider getting AppleCare Plus for the phone.. It will give you an extra year of warranty and you get 2 chances to replace the phone for $99 or 2 chances to replace the Display for $29 if physical damage happens to occur.

By the way, of course I’m going to give you 5 stars. You have been VERY helpful though I’d like to know more.It’s good to hear from others who know a lot about Apple products especially one that works at an Apple store :-)Just out of curiosity how do you go about:(1) Backing up data? Do you use iCloud or iTunes?(2) If iCloud, do you trust it even in today’s cyber world?(3) Do you back up other things like photos in iCloud?(4) If not, do you know about using Photos for Mac?

I don't mind answering questions.

1. For backing up I just let iCloud backups run daily by themselves while it's plugged into power but I do perform iTunes backups only before doing an update just in case the phone doesn't boot backup like I see with many customers. I honestly don't know how such random things happen to customer's devices and they don't happen to mine when i'm not doing anything to prevent those issues.

2. I'm not afraid of iCloud really since I'm not a celebrity or somebody that would be a target.. I do recommend at least setting up Two Factor Authentication.

3. I don't let my photos backup into iCloud because I don't feel like paying for more iCloud storage because it just hasn't been a need for me.. I do have Photostream on so that the Pictures appear in my Photos App automatically on my computer

4. With Photos, I just use it to store my photos.. I don't create albums there or edit and share photos. I just don't have a need for all of Photos features..

Basically for iOS devices I'm fine with iCloud backups, Photostream and manually importing Photos myself into the Photos app to free up the space on my iPhone.

For computers I run Time Machine backups and on one of my computers I do a complete clone with Carbon Copy Cloner. Time Machine is great for recovering something that was mistakenly deleted or to restore the computer to a certain backup date.. CCC I love because if my Hard Drive were to crash then I can just restart the computer and hold the Option key and boot the system to the last clone that was performed.. With CCC you can schedule hourly and or daily backups so if your system crashes then you can restart it to a very recent clone.. That backup system would be the best thing for a business environment. I come across many business owners that don't run any type of backups. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you SO much Danny!Happen to have that DFU guide?
https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode
Tried the DFU mode, no go.Received this message: "An update to the carrier settings for your iPhone is available. Would you like to install it now?" Makes me wonder if somewhere between this message and iOS 10.3.1 something messed.Oh well, I am going to try your advice on the credit. Thank you SO much Danny!

No problem at all, that carrier message appears all the time and is most likely harmless but you never know. Years ago when I lived in NY I had a cell phone and was using it while on the train and the train went underground and lost service because of no signal which happened all the time. Once I got off and went above ground that phone never received a signal ever again out of nowhere. I tried whatever I could think of even as far as taking it apart on the train while heading to work the next day after I bought a bottle of compressed air. Took it apart and started spraying it and the spraying sound freaked people out and they thought it was a terrorist attack and I had to stop.. Still didn't work but made a funny story. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and a positive rating is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Danny Coloma
Danny Coloma, Mac Enthusiast
Hey Danny, this is on another note. I am aware of Apple's cleaning protocol for their products but as an Apple expert do you personally use any solution to clean an iMac monitor?I work with students who use iMacs and there a very thick layer of finger prints on the screen that not even the black, lint-free clothes can take off. Any ideas?
Any cleaner that they sell for a display would work. At work we just usually just wipe them down with rubbing alcohol. 70% or 91% works well
Hey Danny, I plugged my iPhone into an outlet and it popped up the charging symbol. About 5-10 minutes later the screen was blank. I attempted to turn it on by holding down on the power button but nothing is happening. Have you ever had an iPhone not power on at all?

I see it often but since I work for a Premium Service Provider and not the actual Apple Store they restrict us with the parts that we can replace and if something came in for no power we would send it to Apple so that they can replace it under warranty or charge for out of warranty repair. What we would try first is to restore in iTunes or DFU mode.. If those do not work then Apple would say that it needs to be replaced

Danny Coloma
Danny Coloma
Danny Coloma, Mac Enthusiast