Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson, Mac Genius
Experience:  Training and Development at Scientifically Speaking
81238384

Are you really there or is just an auto answer? Ok. I will

Customer Question

Are you really there or is just an auto answer?
JA: No. I'm the Mac Technician's Assistant.
Customer: Ok. I will fire my question, then
JA: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your device?
Customer: My friend had a iPad 3 with 6.x iOS version. In order to upgrade to iOS 9.x, I did a full backup to a Windows machine. All went well, this far.
JA: When did you purchase your iPad? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: She had the QuickOffice app to her work and had several years of texts produced by it. When the backup was restored from the Windows machine, the QuickOffice never returned and all the texts were gone!
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's very simple to a technician. QuickOffice Pro never got a version to iOS 9.x and was not possible to recover this app to the new iOS upgraded iPad 3.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

After restoring the iPad, did you try installing the QuickOffice app from the App store again?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The QuickOffice App is no longer available. That's the problem.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But I can live without it. I only need to recover the documents made using QuickOffice.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

What method did you use to make the full backup of the iPad?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did a full backup of the iPad using iTunes. The option was local backup to a Windows machine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hoje can I rate your help if there was no help?
Please, tell me if you haverá solution to recover my files. Otherwise, no service was provided and I think I'm entitled Tó a full refund.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please, tell me if you have a solution to recover my files. Otherwise, no service was provided and I think I'm entitled to a full refund.
Thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Ok, so you have a full backup available.

Have you tried to recover the documents from the iTunes backup file?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did.
I contacted both Apple support and Google suport and neither of them could help me.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did.
The full backup was made (and still exists!) to a Windows XP machine, not iTunes nor iCloud.
But this fact is irrelevant since there's no QuickOffice version compatible with iOS 9.x. The App didn't come back from the backup - all the other items were restored nicely - and neither the respective files.
I only need the files because it will easy to find a product that opens it.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Ok, let me check if the other techs have any idea on this...

Expert:  Danny Coloma replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I just wanted to chime in and say that there are programs out there that will recover information from iTunes backups. These are programs that you would have to pay for which can range from $30-$60. There is a chance that it may be difficult to find the exact files right away but with some digging i'm sure you'll eventually find it. There are programs listed here in this link. I hope it helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, Danny.
Thank you for the information but, as I told Pete, There's no iTunes backup, only a local backup to a Windows machine.
If the files can be recovered, it must be from this local backup and NOT from iTunes.
The problem remains.
Could you tell me how you created that local backup to that computer without iTunes?
I just read through your previous comments and see that you stated that the backup was done through iTunes. Any backup done in iTunes will only be a local backup. If you go to the preferences section of iTunes there should be a tab there labeled Devices and will show you a list of backups. If the backup you created is in that list then you can attempt to recover the info using one of the recovery programs in the link I provided earlier. I also had a situation of erasing an older app and needed it again and it was no longer available but I went to the App Store's Update section on my phone and there is a Purchased section and found the app there and was able to download it once again. You can try that as long as the App Store is signed in with the correct Apple ID. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, Danny. I used, in fact, iTunes. But the backup was done locally, not to iCloud.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But the QuickOffice app didn't show in the "purchased" section of iTunes. I can´t tell you why.
I only want the files. I'm pretty sure it will be possible to read/edit them from any other app (like Microsoft Word).
iTunes will only back it up right to the computer. There's is no way for iTunes to shoot that backup to iCloud and not the computer. One of those programs in that link will dig through the back and show you the data you're looking for. Hopefully the format that the program saved the data as is readable with Word or a plain text reader. Those programs will also let you look through the file system of the backup and the data should be in a folder.

FYI those programs will also dig through an iCloud backup as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It didn't work at all. The several softwares I tried didn't identify the Quickoffice files.
Expert:  Justin Johnson replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I am Justin. Let me take a chance to look over your question. If you have any additional details please type it in and hit the reply to expert button.

I see you have been working with Danny. Let me dig in to everything you have discussed and see if I have a solution.

Regardless of OS version the application would be in purchases and could be downloaded to this device, but it is likely that the original version of the application did not store the files in Core Data. Instead it was synced with the computer or a cloud service like Google Drive. With that being said you could try to downloaded it from purchased and then sync, but to be honest from my experience while I worked for Apple there were certain Applications that did not back up through typical backing up methods. They required manual sync through iTunes due to the nature of the way the designer set the application up. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but it is the truth of the matter.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Tell me something I didn't know before I contacted JustAnswers...

Did you want the truth or did you want someone to try and help you to no avail? I gave you the realistic truth. It is all I can offer you. I can't tell you something that is not true.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Of course I want the truth. But I already knew it before asking JustAnswers. I expected a solution beyond my knowledge.
Since there isn't, no service was provided.

Your knowledge is precisely the end of the options. I know sometimes it can be no fun to realize that you were right, but it does happen.

If you wish not to pay for this question I can submit a refund for you. Would you like me to do that?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Justin, I appreciate your efforts but, in fact, nothing new came from this dialogue that allow me to recover the lost files.
I had a feeling that would be very dificult if not impossible to recover it.
I talked to Apple Support, Google suport and did a lot of research before agree to pay to get help. And, sadly, it didn't (help me).
So, my answer is yes.
Thanks again. I hope I'l return in the future. And I will definitelly recomend JustAnswer.

I appreciate it very much! I hope you have a great day and I look forward to assisting you in the future.