Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I created an imovie using the new purple star imovie app. I…

I created an imovie...

I created an imovie using the new purple star imovie app. I cannot burn it without opening it in idvd and I cannot get it to transfer. I have tried everything I know. Please help. Patty

Technician's Assistant: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?

Sierra 10.12.3

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I have downloaded wondershare, but I don't know if I need to purchase it. $50 is alot for me. I could transfer 6 imoves 2 years ago, with no problem.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?

Is perhaps the blue disk idvd that I have on this imac too old? My computer is running slow.... the beach ball thingy when I go to any app

3/19/2017
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast

Hi my name is***** me to briefly go over your original question so I don't miss any details.

I used to create wedding slide shows with imovie for a second job at one point and what you are experiencing is the frustration of all mac users that need to create DVD's. Apple discontinued the iDVD app in the more recent OS versions which is why you are having this issue. I believe at one point I had to use wondershare at one point just to burn the DVD and get a menu created. The only thing is that the free annoying version only allows 1 or 2 templates that are not locked and I believe there may be a watermark in the background that will show up on your finished product. It has been a while so I am going by memory.

If you are going to create more then 1 DVD slideshow then then I think the $50 is worth it as Apple seems to not care how many people it screwed over that really depended on the iDVD app.:(

If this helps in any way, please consider to rate my services as it helps to let others know that I am here to help. If not, please let me know how I can further assist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have another question. I have even tried to send it my email. Not working., Also, how about saving it on a thumbdrive
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could I connect this imac to my big screen tv and show it to my family that way
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jon.... are you still there?

yes ...typing to you sorry one sec

Yes, you can connect it to a TV directly from yoru mac which is what I had to resort to when I found all this out like you just did. However, you will need to make sure you have the correct adapter for your mac with the proper video cable to the TV. Meaning, Apple has several adapters for sale but there are different ones over the years for all different mac models. Do you know your serial number of your mac by chance and then I can tell you what adapter you would need. You can also check from your mac apple>about this mac

My last movie I went straight from my mac with adapter to HDMI to the TV

You then just go to "view" in the file menu and then"enter fullscreen mode. You can also save the movie as a "file" to your desktop and then just double click to open.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jon.... heres the serial number QP9481KV5PC
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you finding the adapter?

yes, one sec

Sorry almost done

OK your mac has the following:

Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI

• Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to a 30-inch display (2560 by 1600 pixels) on an external display

still typing one sec.....

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok.... thanks.... did you answer my question about sending it as an email, or saving it on a thumbdrive?

about the USB drive, I personally would not because slideshow files are not only usually huge in size but also I am not sure if I would risk watching it from a USB due to it possibly being to slow to process on the screen, choppy, etc. Lets just say I have never thought to try only because I didnt think it would work well.

Also, most tv's from the remote has an "input" button that you will need to be on the right input. Therefore, when you have the mac and adapter plugged into the TV, you just keep hitting input as the TV cycles through all its connection trying to find the right one that you are using. Sounds hard but its not :)

Sending it as an email there are restrictions to how big an attachment can be so that might not help you either.

Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.... YOU have helped answer all my questions. Thank YOU.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I have any questions tomorrow, can I reconnect using the order id #
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P. S. I taught Mac in an elementary school for 13 years. They were always changing something!!

You can request me I think by clicking around my name or just address your question title like "For Jon only please"...

My second job I work for a school district and have been for 13 years myself :)

Jon
Jon
Jon, Mac Enthusiast