Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have an 21" iMac PC computer, which has been bought new

Hi , I have an...
Hi , I have an 21" iMac PC computer, which has been bought new since 2010. It now has 50gig free space out of a 1 TB HD. It is pretty slow now. Please let me know what I could do to make it run faster:
1. Install an effective cleanup, and /or speedup software (free Mac, or otherwise free, or fee ).
2. RE-Install the system, and data from scratch (i.e. clean HD, and restore). I do keep a good Time Machine backup all through the years up to now. So I think I can do that, if you recommend so.
3. Bring the machine to Apple Genius Bar, and have them (for a fee I suppose, since it is long time out of warranty) cleanup/speedup the iMAC.
Thanks.
1/11/2017
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

My suggestion is to go with option #1.

If you want to free up the disk space, but don't know what files take up the most space, you can install a program named DaisyDisk. Get it on this link:

https://daisydiskapp.com/

Check the video to see how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aksFpEjE3pQ

Once you know what files take up the most space, you can easily find them and delete in case you don't need them any more. After that, you can uninstall the programs you don't use any more. You can then empty the Trash and restart the computer. Hopefully, that will make your computer run faster.

Let me know the results.

Regards,

HI IT Miro, I tried Daisydiskapp.com, and cannot find where it would find, and present extra, or unneeded junk files, that could be erased without risk. Also, it does not find duplicate files for me, since I have a lot of duplicate photos, and music files. Or should I pay the $ 9.99 first to get the full version? Is CleanMyMac 3 better, since it is more expensive? Thanks.

Hello again! Sorry for the delay in response.

DaisyDisk is a simple program that will tell you which files and folders take up the most space. It is useful to quickly find big files on your internal hard drive so that you can either delete them or move to an external hard drive. It doesn't have many functions, so it cannot delete duplicate files. The free trial does everything that the program is supposed to do, but only for a short period of time. That way you can fully test the program, and if that is what you need, you can buy it in order to continue using it.

CleanMyMac 3 is a more advanced program that comes equipped with all the cleaning functions you may need. It can do all the DaisyDisk can, and much more. You can easily find and delete duplicate files and remove many unwanted files (junk). You can install a free version of the program to see what the program does, and if like it, you can buy a license to unlock all the limitations of the free version (mainly the 500 MB cleaning limit).

Based on your comments, it looks like you will benefit more from CleanMyMac 3 than from DaiskyDisk.

Regards,

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
IT Miro, Computer Scientist