Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I went to use my iPhone this morning bought through Optus 5

years ago and it has...
I went to use my iPhone this morning bought through Optus 5 years ago and it has an activation lock on it and asking for my Apple ID and password ***** I have no idea what that is as I don't think I've ever used it nor do I use iCloud. My husband and my sons phones are linked and I have just bought an iPad - don't know whether that is an issue? I can't use my phone
JA: When did you last reset your Apple ID or password?
Customer: Never no idea what it is
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No there was an update waiting on the phone but I kept delaying it so maybe 6 months ago
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Went to apple site to type in the find my Apple ID but that came up with nothing unknown
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My sons phone was replaced at the apple shop last week - the screen was broken and they gave him a new one rather than repair it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it
1/9/2017
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech

I'm sorry about the issue. Is your iPhone showing something like the following: "This iPhone is currently linked to an Apple ID (t****@y****.com or n****@icloud.com, etc.). Sign in with the Apple ID that was used to set up this iPhone." If yes, what is that exact email address?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

There is an email in brackets below the message (*****@******.***)

Thank you. Do you recognize the email address starting with the letter P and ending with @gmail.com?

No

Who set up your iPhone previously?

Did you ever have a gmail email address?

Thank you,

I bought the phone on a plan through an Optus store in Melbourne and I believe it was all done at that time. I have never had a gmail account. My sons phone is linked on the same account and he probably has a gmail account

A gmail email address starting with the letter P was used to set up your iPhone previously. Can you please confirm his email address? Please let me know. Thank you,

No this is the problem I have no idea what that email address is my email address is with iinet

Maybe your son helped you set up your iPhone previously, and he used his gmail email address to set up your iPhone. Can you please check with him about his email address? Please check if he has an @gmail.com email address starting with the letter P. Thank you,

No he didn't help me the man in the Optus shop did ..... the only thing we can think of maybe is
***@******.*** or something like that

In this case, then the Optus shop helped you set up with a gmail email address starting with the letter P. You must have the exact spelling of that gmail email address. You said your son probably has a gmail account, so can you please check with him the exact spelling of his gmail email address, that is if he currently has an @gmail.com email address starting with the letter P. Thank you.

Hi my son has just looked at the phone - he changed his I'd and pass word and because the phones are lined it shut mine down he is fixing it now thanks

You're welcome. Yes, you need the exact ID (email address) associated with your iPhone. OK, I'm staying here with you in case you need further help. Thank you,

Thanks he's changing it now all good

You're welcome. Great. Make sure he gives you the exact email address and the Apple ID password ***** with your iPhone, so you won't get locked out of your iPhone again when there is any new Apple update in the future.

If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit. Thank you very much,

Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech