Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a refurbished Apple MacBook Air. I cannot connect to

Customer Question

I have a refurbished Apple MacBook Air. I cannot connect to the internet because ICloud wants to use the login keychain. I can't remember the password.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I just bought it from Amazon in October and I don't know the operating system. Is it in the settings?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Well the redgreen/yellow circle is spinning around and can't get anything.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

After you or your Mac administrator resets the password ***** your macOS user account, your Mac might ask you to update your keychain password ***** enter the password ***** your login keychain. It might also tell you that the system was unable to unlock your login keychain. That's because your login keychain is still using your old password.

If you don't know your old password, the solution is to create a new login keychain.

If you know your old password, use that password ***** update your existing login keychain:

1. Open the Keychain Access app, which is in the the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. From the Edit menu, choose “Change Password ***** Keychain 'login.'”
  3. Enter the old password ***** your user account in the Current Password ***** This is the password ***** were using before the password ***** reset.
  4. Enter the new password ***** your user account in the New Password ***** This is the password *****'re now using to log in to your Mac. Enter the same password ***** the Verify field.
  5. Click OK when done, then quit Keychain Access.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

In addition to the problem that you are having with your keychain password, you will probably need to know your WIFI SSID (name) and password. Please give this a try and let me know the results.