Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I think that my Mac was compromised. It is about ten years

Customer Question

I think that my Mac was compromised. It is about ten years old. I would like my computer cleared and perhaps buy a new computer.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: We use our computer for e-mail, games and typing lists and instructions.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I did, but I con't say what they were. I was a member of Mackeeper, but I received a phone call saying my membership had expired. They wanted $500 to renew. I thought that that was too much.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just that Mackeeper.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My unit is old, and I would like the latest of the Mac computers. I don't know the cost of these.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First of all, you don't need MacKeeper. It is a SCAM and also kind of malware. So if they call again, tell them you are not interested. If you have MacKeeper app, delete it.

You can find the price of latest Macs from here --> http://www.apple.com/mac/

(Choose the Mac model at top in the above site and click Buy to see the prices)

Re cleaning, you can erase the Mac's hard drive and install a fresh OS X on it. To give you instructions, I need to know the version number. What version of Mac O S X are you using ? You can find it from Apple > About This Mac