Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am running Mac OS 10.6.8 and would like to upgrade. Sierra

Customer Question

I am running Mac OS 10.6.8 and would like to upgrade. Sierra says that I need at least 10.7. How do I get it?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Hardware Overview:Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.51f53
Serial Number (system): W801615PFYT
Hardware UUID: 5045F671-5435-5CEC-9E51-3FC39155D9FD
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled Operating System is MAC OS 10.6.8
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no, none have been available
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none -- that is my weakness. What do you suggest?
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It is true, you need Mac OS X 10.7 or later to upgrade to Sierra. Good news is, you can download 10.11 El Capitan first and then upgrade to Sierra.

You can download 10.11 El Capitan from here --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

or click this link --> https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?mt=12

This will take you to App Store with 10.11 El Capitan link. So click GET button and use your Apple ID and password ***** download it. Once it is downloaded, it will open the installer (will take a few hours to download) and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.

Note : Although upgrading won't delete any files, I'd recommend to backup your important files to an external hard drive or any other disk. Also, you will no longer have iPhoto in latest OS X. Instead you will see a new app named Photos. So open it and it will load the photos that were in iPhoto, if any.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok. Instead, please let me know and I will try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.