Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a WD My Passport Edge for Mac 500GB external drive

Customer Question

Hi - I have a WD My Passport Edge for Mac 500GB external drive that I have been using for years on a MacBook Air, without glitches. On Sunday, I tried connecting it to a Windows 10 device, and it did not appear - although it did recognize it was being connected. I tried to go back to my Mac, and I now I get a prompt "This disk is unreadable" and gives me the option to Eject, Initialize or Ignore. Not sure what to do, suffice it to say, I do NOT want to lose any files.
JA: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your my Mac?
Customer: OS Yosemite 10.10.5
JA: When did you purchase your my Mac? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 2012
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Disk Utility - Repair / Verify... in both cases I get: Error: Partition map check failed because no slices were found.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to justanswer.com! My name is Mike.

I am going over your question and I will be with you shortly.

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Mac drives cannot be read on Windows so it may have asked you to format it and accidentally you allowed that, does that sound possible?

Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Even if that turns out not to be the case, Windows obvioulsy messed up your Mac Formatted drive as it many times does. Your only option is to try recovery software to try and scan the drive for files before you reformat it for Mac. I can help you with that by remote.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please opt out I need a new Expert